Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 years ago today (11 December 1922) William G. Henderson (40), co-founder of Henderson Motorcycles and founder of Ace Motor Corporation, died.

Anyone else interested in motorcycling history?

Nigel Freestone - UK

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,305 Posts
Sure

·
Premium Member
8,914 Posts
During the thirties in London England, my dad rode a 16H Norton to and from work. The last bike he road was a 650 Triumph, that belonged to a friend of mine. That was about 1965. He was 54 at the time. I am currently 20 years older than that, and still riding.
In the movie, At the Races, George Formby used number 14 on his bike. The same number that I had.
Valentino Rossi uses number 46. The year that I was born. UK

·
8,581 Posts
Lawrence of Arabia.

Lawrence's last Brough Superior SS100 while on loan to the Imperial War Museum, London

Memorial near the crash site which is found south of his cottage at Clouds Hill, Wareham, Dorset

On 13 May 1935 Lawrence was fatally injured in an accident on his Brough Superior SS100 motorcycle in Dorset close to his cottage Clouds Hill, near Wareham, just two months after leaving military service. A dip in the road obstructed his view of two boys on their bicycles; he swerved to avoid them, lost control, and was thrown over the handlebars.[146] He died six days later on 19 May 1935, aged 46.[146] The location of the crash is marked by a small memorial at the roadside.[147]
One of the doctors attending him was neurosurgeon Hugh Cairns, who consequently began a long study of the loss of life by motorcycle dispatch riders through head injuries. His research led to the use of crash helmets by both military and civilian motorcyclists. WIKIPEDIA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts