Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just fished rebuilding a 1986 Honda XR80R and after I got done riding it the head was smoking, its not over heating because their is no decline in performance, it this normal?

The head is torqued at 14 FT. LB.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
How long did you ride it? If it wasn't long, it could've been oil or fluids that you accidently got onto the engine. OR did you forget to put a gasket or RTV on something that needed them? Happened to me on a recent valve adjustment I did. Oil leaked out onto exhaust and smoked like crazy. Little bit of RTV and problem solved.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Did you paint the head when you did the rebuild. Many high-temp paints will smoke (and stink) the first time they get hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long did you ride it? If it wasn't long, it could've been oil or fluids that you accidently got onto the engine. OR did you forget to put a gasket or RTV on something that needed them? Happened to me on a recent valve adjustment I did. Oil leaked out onto exhaust and smoked like crazy. Little bit of RTV and problem solved.
the gasket is in there. I'm going to try running it again tomorrow, this time i cleaned the spark plug and when i run it, if it turns black in the short time I run it i'll tighten down the head more.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Sounds like a plan. My issue ended up being the pickup coil cover, which is not really close to the valve cover. The smoke ended up coming up the bike though, and made it look like it was coming from the valve cover. If you still get smoke go through everything you took off and make sure that it has it doesn't need a gasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
results

so after running it some more I've come to the conclusion that it was just burning oil, from being rebuilt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts