Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a Question on my bike. Just fyi, i am new to motorcycles and do not have much riding experience. I found a 81 kawasaki kz 440-a2 that was sitting in a shed for like 12 years. I picked it up for $150. my problem is that is wont start on its own when it is cold. If i give it a shot of starter fluid it will fire up. when it runs, it runs really good. and when it is warmed up it will then start on its own. I checked the compression in both cylenders and they are reading around 150 lbs on both sides. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks lonewolf.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Clean the carbs. After 12 years, the gas has started turning back into dinosaurs. Clean the tank out as well. Pour some fresh gas in the tank, along with a handful of random nuts and bolts, put the cap on, and shake the tank up. The nuts and bolts will help to loosen the rust from the tank. If it's real bad, get some Kreem from your local bike shop, and follow the instructions VERY carefully.

Good luck. That's a sweet little bike for a beginner. Even if you have to work on it some, you'll still get your yard and a half's worth of fun out of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the info, i did clean the carbs the best i could with some carb cleaner and so. i might not got them clean enough though. I couldnt figure how to clean the tank, never thought of the nuts and bolts trick. I just put a in line fuel filter on it. anyway, thanks again.

·
2,110 Posts
Your carb cleaner should clean pritty good, but chemtool is the stuff you want to use. Make sure not to put any rubber or gaskets in it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts