Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The status when I got my 84 kawasaki gpz 550 was pretty much halfway done with being worked on but the owner sold it because he didn't want to put any more work into it. The problem is when I got it, the carbs were off the bike and everything was unhooked from it and now that Im ready to put the carbs back on, I'm having trouble identifying where all the lines go to.

On the carbs there are these nipples on the part that is facing the front of the bike. Carbs 2 and 3 have lines going into a 't' shaped connection with no line coming off the third end. Carbs 1 and 4 don't have anything on those nipples but there is a line that comes down from a vacuum type thing(i only presume that because of previous research) that splits off into 2 lines but can only reach one of the nipples. Within that vacuum thing, there are 2 tubes that go to the DOHC and then 1 big air tub that goes to the air box. So where does the carb 1 and 4 nipples go and where do carbs 2 and 3 go? A guy at napa thought I should route all the nipples to the petcock but he said he wasn't sure.

There are also 2 black lines, one of them is sitting between carbs 1 and 2 and another between carbs 3 and 4. Are these just breather lines?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
What you're asking depends on whether your bike is a Cali model or not. In 1984, California model bikes had a bunch of extra crap added to them that lots of guys ripped out. If it wasn't ripped out right, it could cause issues. If I assume your bike is one of these, then I would advice you to hook the #2 & 3 carb vacuum line to the petcock, and block off the #1 & 4 nipples. If it runs good, you are all good good. If it runs bad, then we need to dig deeper... Try start there... and let us know...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you're asking depends on whether your bike is a Cali model or not. In 1984, California model bikes had a bunch of extra crap added to them that lots of guys ripped out. If it wasn't ripped out right, it could cause issues. If I assume your bike is one of these, then I would advice you to hook the #2 & 3 carb vacuum line to the petcock, and block off the #1 & 4 nipples. If it runs good, you are all good good. If it runs bad, then we need to dig deeper... Try start there... and let us know...
I do not believe it is a California model because I live in New York and the fast tank is a little different I believe...

I will try it and report back

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should say what worked out for me. I hooked carbs 2,3 and 4 I routed up into the front of the bike where I saw a similar line(this leads into a split which goes to the DOHC and into the air box) I routed carb 1 into the petcock.

The hoses that are in-between carbs 1 and 2 and carbs 3 and 4 are float bowl breathers and left open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts