Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:frown:Howdy Folks,
I am new to the forum... can anyone help with a recurring problem that I ma having with my 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (not fuel injected)? I have been guilty of over filling the gas tank and on one occassion it caused me serious problems with my California built bike... It ceased to allow any fuel to flow- I took it in and the mechanic spent over three hours going from top to bottom checking the whole fuel system.- He could find no apparent problem. when he reassembled everything it worked fine.
Since then I have heard that these CA bikes have a Kleen Catalyzer that may be part of the problem. I have also had the problem re-occur and I am currently grumpy because I can't fix it and I don't see any point in taking it to the mechanic for another wild goose chase...
ANY SUGGESTIONS? Please help????
Am I the only one who has this problem...
DCC

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Fuel not flowing is either caused by a physical blockage (petcock/fuel filter/fuel lines) or vacuum problem (vacuum lines/tank vent). Eliminate these one by one and you will find the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel not flowing is either caused by a physical blockage (petcock/fuel filter/fuel lines) or vacuum problem (vacuum lines/tank vent). Eliminate these one by one and you will find the problem.
Okay- This forced me to go through every system. I couldn't find the actual culprit... But by touching each system and re-assembling them all, I have got it working again. What a pain! It doesn't make sense that nothing is evident but then it works...
The only guess is that it is something to do with the vacuum hoses and the CA emissions stuff. I didn't actually have a vacuum tester so I just removed and blew through each piece- then re-assembled.
is there a better way? And why has it happened both times after filling up at the gas station?
DCC

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you are filling the tank when the engine is hot (which obviously it is from riding to the station!) it sounds like it is vapor locking on you. Try filling the tank about 3/4 full and see if it happens again. If so, check the lid of the tank to make sure it's venting properly.

CD

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
And why has it happened both times after filling up at the gas station?
That MIGHT mean that you have some "crud" hanging around in the bottom of your tank that is getting stirred up by the tank filling process. You may need to drain the tank and carbs and clean the tank screen........and add an inline filter if it doesn't have one already. If it does have an inline filter, I'd surely be replacing it NOW.

Might be a good time for a healthy dose of carb cleaner, whether you drain the tank or not.

You aren't in the habit of using "premium" gas, are you ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That MIGHT mean that you have some "crud" hanging around in the bottom of your tank that is getting stirred up by the tank filling process. You may need to drain the tank and carbs and clean the tank screen........and add an inline filter if it doesn't have one already. If it does have an inline filter, I'd surely be replacing it NOW.

Might be a good time for a healthy dose of carb cleaner, whether you drain the tank or not.

You aren't in the habit of using "premium" gas, are you ??
I have drained and checked the tank- I have replaced the filter.- I have done Lucas products as well as prestone octane booster. And yes I have been using premium gas. It is recommended by the owner's manual- should i not be? It would be cheaper to run 87 octane.
Thanks for the reply,
dcc

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
And yes I have been using premium gas. It is recommended by the owner's manual- should i not be?
If the manual really recommends it, then that's what you should do.
Find a station in an "upscale" part of town !! :biggrin:

What's the present situation ??
Running good or not ??
Octane booster is snake oil.....unless you have a modified racing engine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
This was taken from another forum concerning a Honda Aero but it was about a bike with CA emission stuff that had been over filled.

"The excess fuel is being collected in the charcoal filled cannister under the seat.

With the high temps expanding gasoline more than normal, my guess is that the cannister is the source of your odor.

Be careful. There have been reports of the cannister being over-filled with fuel, and causing the bike not to run. "

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the manual really recommends it, then that's what you should do.
Find a station in an "upscale" part of town !! :biggrin:

What's the present situation ??
Running good or not ??
Octane booster is snake oil.....unless you have a modified racing engine.
It seems to be running normal now- I think that I will try the 87 for a time to see if I see any drop in performance.
No more 'snake oil'- It is too expensive anyway. My engine is stock with thexception of the pipes- cobras.
I have thought about a supercharger but I am not comfortable doing the work myself and I am too cheap to have it done.
DCC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was taken from another forum concerning a Honda Aero but it was about a bike with CA emission stuff that had been over filled.

"The excess fuel is being collected in the charcoal filled cannister under the seat.

With the high temps expanding gasoline more than normal, my guess is that the cannister is the source of your odor.

Be careful. There have been reports of the cannister being over-filled with fuel, and causing the bike not to run. "
This appears to be what is happening with me. Do you know if there is anyway to diagnose this for sure? Is it posible to temporarily disable the system while I check it? I am afraid that if I just disconnect I will have vacuum problems?
DCC- I appreciate the feedback- Do you know where the prior forum thread went?

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I think that I will try the 87 for a time to see if I see any drop in performance.

I have thought about a supercharger but I am not comfortable doing the work myself and I am too cheap to have it done.
I thought you said your manual says to use premium.
IF THE MANUAL SAYS PREMIUM, USING REGULAR CAN DAMAGE THE ENGINE; don't do it.

"Adding a suprecharger" would amount to building a whole new engine and would probably be more expensive than buying a new bike.

I think you need to reign in your imagination just a bit and stop doing things on a whim; it could be dangerous to the bike.......and to you too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It was from another forum and he didn't say anything on how to fix this problem. My bike is not a CA bike and so does not have that canister, I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to just disconnect it and see if it runs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought you said your manual says to use premium.
IF THE MANUAL SAYS PREMIUM, USING REGULAR CAN DAMAGE THE ENGINE; don't do it.

"Adding a suprecharger" would amount to building a whole new engine and would probably be more expensive than buying a new bike.

I think you need to reign in your imagination just a bit and stop doing things on a whim; it could be dangerous to the bike.......and to you too.
Okay- Message received - But I still have my original problem- the complete shut-down of the fuel system after fueling- once definitely after over filling and the other not- how do I pin-point the real culprit?
It ain't a whim to put gas in the tank and I have to fill it (with premium :) every day.
If it strands me every sixth time- I need a better solution...
DCC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are filling the tank when the engine is hot (which obviously it is from riding to the station!) it sounds like it is vapor locking on you. Try filling the tank about 3/4 full and see if it happens again. If so, check the lid of the tank to make sure it's venting properly.

CD
This makes sense- I'll add that to my diagnostic routines-

·
Registered
377 Posts
It seems to be running normal now- I think that I will try the 87 for a time to see if I see any drop in performance.
No more 'snake oil'- It is too expensive anyway. My engine is stock with thexception of the pipes- cobras.
DCC
Premium isn't that much more. Even if it is $0.20 more a gallon, 5 gallon tank, thats a dollar more per fill up. Well worth the peace of mind.

Also, with the pipes, you should have a new intake and jets. You aren't getting the full performance gain from just the pipes. When you do one, do all three. Intake to let more air in, jets to let more fuel and exhaust to let it breathe better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Premium isn't that much more. Even if it is $0.20 more a gallon, 5 gallon tank, thats a dollar more per fill up. Well worth the peace of mind.

Also, with the pipes, you should have a new intake and jets. You aren't getting the full performance gain from just the pipes. When you do one, do all three. Intake to let more air in, jets to let more fuel and exhaust to let it breathe better.
I purchased the bike used, about 3,000 miles ago- about 4 months ago. It already had the pipes on it- it is my understanding that the owner that I bought it from also bought it as is...
I have no idea if the original owner did the other two - intake and Jets- I don't see any intake mods and I have never cracked open the carburetor...
Is there any way to know about the jets?

DCC

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I purchased the bike used, about 3,000 miles ago- about 4 months ago. It already had the pipes on it- it is my understanding that the owner that I bought it from also bought it as is...
I have no idea if the original owner did the other two - intake and Jets- I don't see any intake mods and I have never cracked open the carburetor...

DCC
Check the condition of the spark plugs to see what the fuel mixture is like in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Check the condition of the spark plugs to see what the fuel mixture is like in the combustion chamber.
While that wont tell you if it has been re-jetted it WILL tell you if it needs to be done.
And back to the evap canister, I think you can just pull the hoses and see if this helps. Just let them hang loose. If you still have problems then that isn't it. :p

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Yes. If, under normal conditions, the bike runs good, you don't need to mess with anything. If it ain't broke, don't F*** with it !! :icon_cool:

For about the last 10 years, California vehicles, bikes included, have had a vapor recovery system with a charcoal canister that can be screwed up by overfilling the tank.......just once.....and then the system will not "self recover". Most of the time, the canister has to be replaced and I've heard that they are NOT cheap.

At this point, I think a visit to a dealer is highly recommeneded.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts