Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everybody, I have a 2004 BMW R1150 or less. I put in a new lithium battery. Bike started fine for a few days. Went for a ride and shut the bike off to look at some nice scenery. When I got back on the bike turn the key the dash let up fine ABS signal it was starting and I could hear the fuel pump going. Soon as I mash the starter the dash and everything Dimmed out. After about five seconds it all came back. Did it several times couldn’t get the bike started so finally just pushed it down the hill and it started right up and I rode home. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Terry Cederblom

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
Volts, you need to be checking the volts in the battery. Volts after being charged on tender, volts after sitting for a while, volts when cranking, volts after the bike is running.
My first guess is the battery is not being charged by the bike. It had enough volts to make the lights work, but not enough to crank the engine. Could be the type of battery as well.
Old style batteries and a battery tender, work fine.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
What Krusty said. It is the best place to start.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Also check the ground wire from the battery to the frame. Make sure the connection is tight and clean. I don't know anything about the lithium batteries, but I have bought AGM motorcycle batteries at Auto Zone for less than $100. Now that was a couple two or three years ago, but I had good luck with those batteries.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts