Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My grandma had a 1974 honda cb450 k7 sitting in a shed falling apart and I am attempting to restore it. It was my uncle's and has been sitting since 1994. I don't know anything about motorcycles and have never had a motorcycle before. I have a friend who knows motorcycles and he helped me take apart the motorcycle and has said the carburetors are in good shape. I have already bought a new battery and am currently cleaning out the gas tank. What should I do now? Currently, I have been attempting to get the key to turn in the ignition but it won't budge. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for reading all of this.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Some graphite lock spray might help with the ignition. If it is corroded beyond repair, a new ignition switch might be needed. I don't think they make these switches any more, but you might be able to source a used one that works.

If you don't have a service manual, that would be the next step.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,319 Posts
Read, read, read and then read some more. Fortunately you are living in an era with information instantly at your finger tips. YouTube is also a valuable resource. I'd start Googleing the key issue. Also, if you get it instuck or started make sure you don't ride it with the old tires and as I'm thinking about this don't try to start it until you make sure the oil/gear box fluids are flushed. I'd also change the plug wires and plugs as well as clean/lube the chain. Since you have no experience with motorcycles go sign up for the basic riders class at the local community college or you can take the class at Harley (I think the HD class is a little more expensive). Just learning a little about how to ride will help you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts