Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - so disclaimer: I am new, and know very little about bikes.. I would love to learn and appreciate any help. I apologize ahead of time if I ask stupid questions!

Was riding my new-to-me bike on the highway (97 Suzuki Savage 650), and heard a rattling sound from behind me. I pulled off ASAP, and saw white smoke coming out from under the gas tank and smelled electrical burning.

I turned off the bike (I think. It could have turned off on it's own, I don't remember) and then saw the rear turn signal wiring was ripped. My theory is the plate bolts vibrated loose :)o) and then the plate/frame/turn signal frame flapped in the wind, and ripped the wire - so one of the turn signals wasn't connected anymore. The other wiring was exposed as well, but still attached... Then guessing the wire shorted out? Not sure what the white smoke up front was. But now the bike won't turn over, no lights/horn etc. I don't even hear a click when I push the start button.

Next steps? Can I re-attached the turn signals and re-case the wiring? After that, check the fuses (any in particular? Still don't even know where they are yet to be honest) - what else? Could something more serious have burned out up front as a result of the exposed wire? Or maybe I'm completely off base... In any case, help is definitely appreciated for my next steps - like I said, I know nothing but am interested in learning. And. . . will definitely make sure the license plates bolts are SUPER tight next time. . .

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
It could be a fuse or the main fuse.

I think you are on the right track. Replace or repair the broken wiring and trace down the blown fuse(s). That should get you running again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dodsfall. Will have to investigate to find the fuses. Didn't realize blown fuses would smoke but maybe the main would?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully that's all it is.

The fuses should pop before anything else gets hot enough to burn up.

·
Ace Tuner
2,566 Posts
It might be good to get the tank off and find the wires that let the smoke out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts