Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
Hate to admit it but this sounds like me when I first found this site. Only he’s getting better unlike me.

·
Nightfly
3,883 Posts
I was thinking one cylinder is not firing. That would be the cooler one, and the one causing the bangs. the white smoke is another issue.
What would cause the change? A whole bunch of things. Flat gas, plugged filters, bad electric connections, off day.
A cold exhaust pipe or cylinder, is one that is not firing.
UK
I think you may be on to something UK. Somehow I missed the part where he said the rear plug was still shinny after putting new plugs in and running it. That tells me that cylinder wasn't firing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I just bought repair manual off of Haynes. So I warned it up and still smoke coming from cylynder 2 plug whole and cylinder 1 isnt heating up like #2 is im thinking #1 isnt firing so #2 is overworking itself probably burning rings and that is smoke I am seeing? Any other suggestion? I'm at a loss. Both cylinders had spark when I checked yesterday. Not sure what else to do or look for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I pulled cylinder #1 plug again (the one that was shiny after changing ) and it has accumulated a black tip at the gap the last time I let warm up

·
Nightfly
3,883 Posts
How did it go from being shiny when first started, and now all of a sudden it has a black tip? I think you need more than a manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I put knew plugs in. Fired it up. Hear the back fire. Seen the smoke. Turned it off. Checked plugs n all n that's when I seen it was still shiny. Today I fired it up. Let it warm up. Gave it some revs still backfiring. Killed it pulled plugs again and #1cylinder now has a black tip at gap which means it has been firing right? . Dont know how it could be backfiring from that cylinder if it is not firing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you checked the air filters? There should be two and the original filters are foam that can deteriorate over time and screw up the carbs. If it's a 1400 Intruder its air cooled on the front cylinder and air/oil cooled on the rear like the GSXR back in the day there should be no coolant.

·
Ace Tuner
2,024 Posts
If it is a 2003 VS-1400 GLP, not SV-1400, then it has what Suzy calls air and oil cooling.
I'm familiar with the Suzuki VS-1400 Intruder. I can see the oil cooler in one of the pics that I recognize as being the oil cooler on the VS-1400. Suzy made those bikes for a lot of years and in different sizes. I believe a typo, SV -vs- VS, (ha ha ha, see how that looks) screwed everybody up here. . :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :confused: :oops:

That's all I got...

S F

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Have you checked the air filters? There should be two and the original filters are foam that can deteriorate over time and screw up the carbs. If it's a 1400 Intruder its air cooled on the front cylinder and air/oil cooled on the rear like the GSXR back in the day there should be no coolant.
Yes one the back car for cylinder #1 was crumbling and mostly gone I found half of it in the carb. So cylinder #2 should be running hotter since its air cooled is what your saying? Any note to what could be smoking? Even after warmed up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey U B. Is that an Intruder in your avatar?

S F
Yep just got it last Sept same bike as the Intruder but the newer S83. Been a Yamaha guy all my life but got a great deal on that one. Horrible to do somethings on the S83 like air filters so thought that might have been overlooked on this bike.

·
Ace Tuner
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you found part of the file in the carb did you do a teardown of both carbs? It only takes a bit of crap to screw up a carb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you found part of the file in the carb did you do a teardown of both carbs? It only takes a bit of crap to screw up a carb.
Yes bottom carb was clogged and had foam all thru it top carb on cylinder #2 (air cooled apparently ) was clean no clogs or anything but I was having trouble starting it at the time so I tore it down and cleaned it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you checked for air leaks around the carb boots? That can sometimes cause a backfire, fine cracks in the rubber can cause air leaks.

·
Ace Tuner
2,024 Posts
Depending on the exact year model, and size, some of those bikes had EIGHT cables that operated the carburetors if you count the choke cables.
There is high speed and slow speed sync to deal with and you gotta really understand how all those cables work and what they do to get it right.
You gotta set the carb sync, both high speed and slow speed before you go farther.

If the smoke is coming from the spark plug hole you would hear that as a squirt, squirt sound, same if it was coming from an exhaust leak.
I'd guess a dirt dauber left some mud in some out of the way spot or maybe some kind of bug is letting the smoke out when hot. Are we sure nothing was spilled down in the fins while the bike sat up?

S F

·
Ace Tuner
2,024 Posts
No, I think it was NINE cables. Service techs are not too fond of that set up.
It's kinda a pain because you even gotta consider how the fuel tank pushes against those cables when installed.

S F

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, I think it was NINE cables. Service techs are not too fond of that set up.
It's kinda a pain because you even gotta consider how the fuel tank pushes against those cables when installed.

S F
Like I said somethings are crummy to work on but it sure looks nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So my front cylinder should be running hotter than rear since its air cooled?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts