Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 suzuki intruder sv1400 GLP. Owner had it sitting for over 2 years. When he went to sell it he tried to start it and it wouldnt start. It only has 9k miles.. I bought it and immediately drained gas tank and lines . Pulled both carbs and thoroughly cleaned both put new battery on and changed the spark plugs knowing that it has been sitting and he tried to start it without draining fuel system. still wouldnt start. . I tested fuel pump and if engine had spark at both cylinders. Good. I took apart both petlocks the on/off/reserve one and the bottom of the tank one that was my starting problem fuel wasnt getting to carb cause the tank pet lock was clogged. Checked that both carbs are getting fuel . so now i got it running and its sounding rough. i tuned the idle in and then i start to give it some gas. (choke all the way off) and it's back firing at a little over 1/3 throttle Anything under that it doesnt back fire but anything after that is all back fire and sputter. and once it warms up the front cylinder where the front plug is on the right side of bike starts smoking WHITE smoke. its smells like burning but not rubber n not sweet like coolant. when I pull that plug there isnt any coolant or oil on bottom and bottom is Carmel color. back spark plug is still shiny. Also the front cylinder where smoke or steam is coming from is much hotter than other cylinder 8 think it is over heating but there is not smoke coming from exhaugst.

·
Nightfly
3,883 Posts
I'm not familiar with your particular bike but somethings never change. I would drain all liquid and check for any thing that may be blocking the coolant flow. White smoke from a cylinder is most always cause by coolant or water getting into the cylinder. You said it was running rough, are both cylinders firing? You said you cleaned both carbs but are you sure something wasn't changed when taking them apart, if that is what you did. Too much fuel will create black smoke out of the exhaust which you probably already know. Could be a head gasket as well. You may have to remove the head(s) to get to the real problem. Bikes left sitting for a period of time can be troublesome to bring back to life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not smoke coming from either exhaust. just backfiring from the left exhaust and smoke from the right cylinder.. I still need to sync carbs but I dont feel like that would make it backfire with around 1/2 throttle.

·
Nightfly
3,883 Posts
There is not smoke coming from either exhaust. just backfiring from the left exhaust and smoke from the right cylinder.. I still need to sync carbs but I dont feel like that would make it backfire with around 1/2 throttle.
If the smoke is coming from the cylinder how is it getting out of the engine if not going through the exhaust system. Maybe a leaking head gasket? If your carbs are not synced or set correctly it can cause problems. Usually a backfire is caused because of a lean condition which would mean being sure the carbs are set correctly first and then checking the jetting in the carbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can see the plug in this picture and and where the exhaust is the smoke is coming from in between there hard to pinpoint exactly but I can see that there are not any cracks .

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
130 Posts
You've got a cracked head. How else is smoke getting out of the head where the spark plug is. Not normal to say the least.
That’s what I was thinking. Cracked head or spark plug not seating.
Try swapping plugs.

Drain coolant. Put a tee in a coolant line. Air pressure. I dunno. 15/20 psi
Soapy water around area with white smoke. Look for bubbles. Something like that. Good luck guy.

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
I'll just throw this old, are you certain it's smoke from internal combustion and not just years of dust burning off?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would have cause this if bike ran fine before storage. I witnessed it drove just fine I even went riding with guy who owned it before.
That’s what I was thinking. Cracked head or spark plug not seating.
Try swapping plugs.

Drain coolant. Put a tee in a coolant line. Air pressure. I dunno. 15/20 psi
Soapy water around area with white smoke. Look for bubbles. Something like that. Good luck guy.
I swapped plugs on that side. Still smoking. I'm thinking maybe steam from a head leak and also maybe the bmback fire is because i put premium in the tank and the plugs aren't burning the high octane so it's getting into exhaust system and backfiring. But wouldnt I be able to see a crack? It's coming right from spark plug around I looked in there really good and nothing. And it's only on that one side that front cylinder runs super hot compared to other and the chrome plug now looks slightly white at tip of gap and sort of Carmel burnt and other is still all chrome. It doesnt smoke immediately only after warm up a few minutes and when I give it some gas n it back fires it really starts smoking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll just throw this old, are you certain it's smoke from internal combustion and not just years of dust burning off?
I thought maybe it was some pb blaster or gas burning off but it keeps smoking and I dont want to keep letting it run and let that cylinder get hot incase it's something worse.

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
How long has it run and does it even hint at slowing down. Cause I'm with your thoughts. Dust or something burning off. It might have to get pretty warm to get it to stop and I'm thinking it just might. Remember, there are air cooled bike so they can get darn warm before hurting them just to find out.

·
Nightfly
3,883 Posts
You say the bike is liquid cooled and one cylinder is much more hot than the other. For that to happen the coolant is not being equally distributed to each cylinder therefore allowing one cylinder to run more hot. Normally caused by some sort of blockage, or a pretty bad leak somewhere. I'm surprised you think there could be dust or dirt on top of the engine that could cause this so-called white smoke. If I were working on this bike one of the first things I would do would be to clean the area, everywhere. If there is no dust and dirt to be found then you've eliminated that possibility. If you've exhausted every possibility you can think of and those of others, pull the head and see what you have. You may actually find a reason for your troubles.

I understand you may not want to pull the head but looking for a quick and inexpensive fix doesn't always work out. When an engine sits for a long period of time many things can happen. Little creatures can find their way into the smallest holes and cause havoc. If straight water was used sans any antifreeze, it can cause rust and or corrosion. You need to be sure all passages are clean and open. If all of that fails to cure your problem then you must ask yourself, what can I do that I have not done? Since I am not familiar with your bike and engine, does it possibly have a water pump? Just asking.

·
Premium Member
7,051 Posts
I was thinking one cylinder is not firing. That would be the cooler one, and the one causing the bangs. the white smoke is another issue.
What would cause the change? A whole bunch of things. Flat gas, plugged filters, bad electric connections, off day.
A cold exhaust pipe or cylinder, is one that is not firing.
UK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The one that says
I was thinking one cylinder is not firing. That would be the cooler one, and the one causing the bangs. the white smoke is another issue.
What would cause the change? A whole bunch of things. Flat gas, plugged filters, bad electric connections, off day.
A cold exhaust pipe or cylinder, is one that is not firing.
UK
[/QUOTE
The bike is air/oil cooled and the cylinder that isnt getting as hot is the one that is backfiring. You guys are all a really big in helping me understand this bike thank you. S
You say the bike is liquid cooled and one cylinder is much more hot than the other. For that to happen the coolant is not being equally distributed to each cylinder therefore allowing one cylinder to run more hot. Normally caused by some sort of blockage, or a pretty bad leak somewhere. I'm surprised you think there could be dust or dirt on top of the engine that could cause this so-called white smoke. If I were working on this bike one of the first things I would do would be to clean the area, everywhere. If there is no dust and dirt to be found then you've eliminated that possibility. If you've exhausted every possibility you can think of and those of others, pull the head and see what you have. You may actually find a reason for your troubles.

I understand you may not want to pull the head but looking for a quick and inexpensive fix doesn't always work out. When an engine sits for a long period of time many things can happen. Little creatures can find their way into the smallest holes and cause havoc. If straight water was used sans any antifreeze, it can cause rust and or corrosion. You need to be sure all passages are clean and open. If all of that fails to cure your problem then you must ask yourself, what can I do that I have not done? Since I am not familiar with your bike and engine, does it possibly have a water pump? Just asking.
Yes it has a water coolant pump.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,005 Posts
The one that says

The bike is air/oil cooled and the cylinder that isnt getting as hot is the one that is backfiring. You guys are all a really big in helping me understand this bike thank you. S

Yes it has a water coolant pump.

Now I am really confused

·
12,005 Posts
Okay, I looked it up on line and it is water cooled. If you have smoke or is it steam coming from the area around the plug hole you have serious problem. Do a pressure check of your cooling system. What does your overflow tank look like?

·
12,005 Posts

Here are a couple of parts break down sheets. Do you have a repair manual?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts