Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter left her S40 in my garage when she went to college. With the coming of spring, it's time to get it ready to ride. I put the charger on the battery and started it up rode it down to the service station for a fresh tank of gas. After filling the tank, the S40 would not start. The light was on but it made a single "knock" when I engaged the starter. I took the charger to the station and tried to jump start the bike. Light was on but still a "knock" noise when I engaged the starter. Trailered it home and installed a new battery. Light is on and good, engaged the stater and got the same "knock" noise. Next I installed a new starter; same thing it "knock" once but no rollover. I'm not sure what else I should replace or consider. It has a new battery and a new starter, what's next?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
I would check the sidestand switch and / or the starter interlock (clutch lever) switch. The S40 Savage uses a decompression solenoid to assist the starter, that is the knock sound you're hearing. The starter solenoid itself could also be bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts