Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm a veeeery lucky girl for a first, you should see my girl ! My bike is in perfect body condition and attracts a lot of attention with its look. I'm afraid it will attract the wrong one big time... I live in a big city to add up to the equation. Last summer&fall was very stressful obviously !

I' m a little (quite!) lost when it comes to the alarm systems that are out there on the market. I know I want a siren that is +100 dec. tilt sensors for movement and, of course, a on/off remote minimum... I'm afraid to purchase something that will not be compatible at all with my Sportster... Could it happen aside from wire adapters that need purchasing for example like the Scorpio system ? My bike is old making seeking the info harder I find.

The Gorilla 9 series systems seem nice... I find Scorpio out of my budget (all those expenses as a new rider up in the North + bike you know...), does anyone use and\or have knowledge of the Gorilla systems or any other that could suit my needs and not cost too much ?

Merci !

·
American Legion Rider
23,185 Posts
Before you get too worked up, you do know that no alarm system will keep a determined thief from getting your bike don't you? That's a fact. In less than 45 seconds in fact. Yeah, I was amazed when I found that out. So your best defense monetarily is replacement insurance. It won't help with the emotional loss but at least financially you are in better shape. Next best are the chain lock plus alarm systems. Where you have enough chain to go through both wheels and the frame anchored to something immobile. The more immobile the better. Then comes just the the loud alarm systems. But I'm assuming you are aware of this but I just wanted to remind you. Brands I can't help, sorry.

My bike has one, came with it new, but I rarely use it and when I do I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone anyway when I get back to it or where it was. Or worse yet, it's been damaged because a not good thief just started cutting wires everywhere trying to stop the noise. Which is why I'm using it far less than I ever thought I would. A good cover is actually better I think. Out of site out of mind. Those or a good one anyway will have grommets you can put a lock through or at least a cabled lock. Size of bike will come into play here. A smaller bike the grommets might come together under the bike but a larger one, like mine they won't so a cabled lock is required. So that my recommendation over an alarm.

Reactions: Julie

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Gorilla 9000. Super easy to install. No messing with any wiring harnesses. User adjustable sensitivity and different alarm tones. The 9100 has the antenna and paging capability if you want that. As previously mentioned, it will not stop a determined thief. I hope the average one sees the flashing led light and picks something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before you get too worked up, you do know that no alarm system will keep a determined thief from getting your bike don't you? That's a fact. In less than 45 seconds in fact. Yeah, I was amazed when I found that out. So your best defense monetarily is replacement insurance. It won't help with the emotional loss but at least financially you are in better shape. Next best are the chain lock plus alarm systems. Where you have enough chain to go through both wheels and the frame anchored to something immobile. The more immobile the better. Then comes just the the loud alarm systems. But I'm assuming you are aware of this but I just wanted to remind you. Brands I can't help, sorry.

My bike has one, came with it new, but I rarely use it and when I do I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone anyway when I get back to it or where it was. Or worse yet, it's been damaged because a not good thief just started cutting wires everywhere trying to stop the noise. Which is why I'm using it far less than I ever thought I would. A good cover is actually better I think. Out of site out of mind. Those or a good one anyway will have grommets you can put a lock through or at least a cabled lock. Size of bike will come into play here. A smaller bike the grommets might come together under the bike but a larger one, like mine they won't so a cabled lock is required. So that my recommendation over an alarm.
Thanks Hogcowboy for your insight, it's appreciated. Yeah was aware of the speed it can be done at ! Saw some pretty amazing videos that show how fast it can be done thanks to uncle Google. Do agree with insurance coverage but the idea is still prevention. Precautions will not stop the pro it will perhaps stop the low grade thief :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Gorilla 9000. Super easy to install. No messing with any wiring harnesses. User adjustable sensitivity and different alarm tones. The 9100 has the antenna and paging capability if you want that. As previously mentioned, it will not stop a determined thief. I hope the average one sees the flashing led light and picks something else.
Nice to know, thank you ! I don't know what type of bike you have, I'm saying this because that led light is a head scratcher for me...Where can I put it in an esthetic way is A question in itself. I've been debating skipping the led or not...

·
Registered
35 Posts
My bike is a less desirable tractor (V Strom 650), but it is my tractor. People around here steal anything!
Nothing wrong with skipping the LED. Drilling a hole wasn't a big deal with my bike, but yours would be another story. I'm not very imaginative, but I bet there are other ways to do it that wouldn't look like trash.

·
American Legion Rider
23,185 Posts
Precautions will not stop the pro it will perhaps stop the low grade thief :)
Correct. And unfortunately there are more and more of the scum each day it seems, where taking from others is easier than getting a legitimate job and purchasing things instead is just too darn hard. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts