Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm close to buying as closeout specials are happening and the rainy season is almost over. I am curious what others think of these bikes, so I won't spill my opinions yet.

I will offer my intended use, which is mostly city riding, commuting and fun rides on the back roads. I'll do little if any highway riding, but maybe a bit of light touring on the back roads, occasional two up riding, and maybe a sidecar in the future, maybe... I would like to be able to mount hard, lockable, waterproof bags, that hopefully look like they belong on the bike.

My priorities are: reliability/low maintenance, fun/ease of use, economy and looks.

Performance, at least in 1/4 mile terms, is not very important for me.

Here are some on my short list, in random order...

2015 Ducati Scrambler:

2014 Moto Guzzi V7:

2015 Yamaha SR400:

2014 Triumph Bonneville T100:

I'd like to hear opinions, good or bad, on any of these bikes. Which would you prefer, and why? Is there something similar that was not listed, that you might prefer? thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
I can see that might be a hard choice, they are all nice bikes. I would say go with which ever one gives you biggest grin and best fits your bike budget. All nice choices.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
How about a Royal Enfield?!

-Soupy

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you're looking for something inexpensive, but durable and simple, the TU250x might be worth a look since you're not doing the highway. You can sometimes find new old stock ones well below MSRP as they don't sell well. It's not particularly fast, but fun to ride. It's made in Japan too.

If you're want low maintenance, the Guzzi is a shaft drive so not chain cleaning is required. At 5'11" I could flat foot the Stone, but not the Special. The Ducati has ABS, which may come in handy. The SR400 is kickstart only, which the novelty of would wear off quick, at least for me. The Triumph seems about 100 pounds too heavy for what it is. All that said, I'd agree, pick the one you like.

·
8,606 Posts
Forget the little 250's and that Yamaha 400 thumper as you will grow tired of them quickly if you ride on the Highways and Interstates.

The new Guzzi is a very nice bike but there are very few dealers around. I would have this bike now if they were closer than 150 miles. I love the big gas tank and the new 6 speed box!

The Ducati is HOT and their current best seller! I've had a few Duc's and I love this new one. Duc dealers are also 150 miles away. It has a small gas tank.

Both of the above bikes though in my extremely humble opinion are made for 125 lb, small in stature riders, like you'd likely find in Italy. I really think they are 3/4 or 7/8 of a REAL size bike.

I would look like a turd on a toothpick riding one of those:biggrin:

The Triumph would be my choice of the aforementioned. I had a new 2010 Triumph Scrambler and it was a fantastic, all around ride. They are extremely reliable and very easy to service. The Ducati is a tad faster.

I like Triumphs and currently have a 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a Royal Enfield?!

-Soupy
They look very cool but I have doubts about long term reliability. I still see reports of fading paint or chrome turning to rust. The kicker for me was checking out the forums, where 7/8ths of the discussion was how to fix all the common problems. I know they are getting better, but I doubt they are UJM quality yet.

If you're looking for something inexpensive, but durable and simple, the TU250x might be worth a look since you're not doing the highway. You can sometimes find new old stock ones well below MSRP as they don't sell well. It's not particularly fast, but fun to ride. It's made in Japan too.

If you're want low maintenance, the Guzzi is a shaft drive so not chain cleaning is required. At 5'11" I could flat foot the Stone, but not the Special. The Ducati has ABS, which may come in handy. The SR400 is kickstart only, which the novelty of would wear off quick, at least for me. The Triumph seems about 100 pounds too heavy for what it is. All that said, I'd agree, pick the one you like.
I just lost my TU250. It was toatalled; not my fault--hit at a red light. It is a great bike but I just feel like trying something else. The TU was killer on mileage and never let me down once. If money was at the top of my list I'd probably buy another one.

Forget the little 250's and that Yamaha 400 thumper as you will grow tired of them quickly if you ride on the Highways and Interstates.

The new Guzzi is a very nice bike but there are very few dealers around. I would have this bike now if they were closer than 150 miles. I love the big gas tank and the new 6 speed box!

The Ducati is HOT and their current best seller! I've had a few Duc's and I love this new one. Duc dealers are also 150 miles away. It has a small gas tank.

Both of the above bikes though in my extremely humble opinion are made for 125 lb, small in stature riders, like you'd likely find in Italy. I really think they are 3/4 or 7/8 of a REAL size bike.

I would look like a turd on a toothpick riding one of those:biggrin:

The Triumph would be my choice of the aforementioned. I had a new 2010 Triumph Scrambler and it was a fantastic, all around ride. They are extremely reliable and very easy to service. The Ducati is a tad faster.

I like Triumphs and currently have a 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster.

Sam:biggrin:
I am a big guy(6'4"), and I know I'd have to get a peg lowering kit for all these bikes, and/or a taller seat. The Triumph Scrambler would be another option, but I though the high pipe might mean only one saddle bag.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just lost my TU250.
Sorry to hear that, but good to know you're in good enough shape to consider something else. Personally, the V7 would be my choice. I really like that bike, at least as much can tell from only sitting on one a dealer and YouTube videos. I may get one some day, but you should pick the one that floats your boat. In the grand scheme of things, they're more alike than dissimilar.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I don't think any of those fit "hard, lockable, waterproof bags, that hopefully look like they belong on the bike."

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think any of those fit "hard, lockable, waterproof bags, that hopefully look like they belong on the bike."
True. I don't want squishy leather bags that don't lock, and I'm clearly not a cruiser guy. I'm not sure any luggage looks quite right on a standard. If I don't get a sidecar, though, I will want some lockable luggage in any case.

Also, I forgot one contender: 2013 Honda CB1100:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts