Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
2004 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
i use the hand tight rule for the filter. I have done it in my cars and bike. Seems to seal nice. Make sure the gasket comes off with the filter, sometimes those little things like to stick to the engine. I dropped 5 quarts of oil on my parents driveway from my 65 Ford when I was a teenager. Dad was not happy LOL.

Registered
I think it was when I had a mid 90's Goldwing, I started buying oil filters at Wal-Mart. I saved a few dollars and they seemed to work okay. A few years later, and another bike, I looked up what oil filters would work on it. I got the cheaper filter and it worked just fine.
My next oil change, I went and got the same filter. After changing everything and installing the new oil filter, I was ready to start it up and check for leaks. Didn't take but about 2 seconds and oil was going all over the place, what a mess! That cheap oil filter, which was supposed to work, didn't. Screwed down, even overly tight, it wouldn't seal.
Ever since then I buy my oil filter at the dealership. I could probably buy factory filters on-line a bit cheaper, but buying them at the dealership, if one screws up, there's someone I can yell at.

Registered
NRA Life Member
I absoultey refuse to use them stupid "cup" tools. they alwyas have too loose of a tolerance from filter to filter brand, and run into the issue like the OP.

I only use the band wrench type or the "clamp type, or the claw if its got slim tolerances between the engine cases/parts.
My favorite and usual go to is this style here,

Ace Tuner
Ever since then I buy my oil filter at the dealership. I could probably buy factory filters on-line a bit cheaper, but buying them at the dealership, if one screws up, there's someone I can yell at.
At one time we sold Fram oil filters. There was one that was supposed to fit several different bikes. Some of those filter applications did not engage enough threads at the engine. After a few filters came off under the stress of racing WERA outlawed the use of Fram. Then one of my customers had a Fram, that I sold him, dump his new oil because of a defective seal. We gave him more oil and stopped selling Fram.
A sales rep for Hi-Flow claims Hi-Flow makes oil and air filters for the major Japanese brands. I've compared a few Yamaha air filters to the Hi-Flow. They definitely look the same and have similar production numbers stamped on them. In know a salesman's job is to sell so there is that, but still...

As mentioned I have and use cup filter tools. There are many bikes that have absolutely no room to use a band type filter tool so the cup tool or a strap tool is needed.
There are some applications where it is some kind of hard to get a cup wrench or band wrench on the filter. The strap wrench has a place to insert and use a 3/8" drive extension for removal / installation. I believe the strap would be usable in most applacations if the cup screws with you too much.

S F

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i use the hand tight rule for the filter. I have done it in my cars and bike. Seems to seal nice. Make sure the gasket comes off with the filter, sometimes those little things like to stick to the engine. I dropped 5 quarts of oil on my parents driveway from my 65 Ford when I was a teenager. Dad was not happy LOL.
I always spill at least a quart of oil when I unscrew the drain plug. It always goes past the drain pan.

American Legion Rider
I suggest you leave the wrench in place so the next oil change will be easier! 馃榿

Sam馃
The thought did cross my mind!
It would have just fallen off at some point anyway, then you wouldn't have it anymore. That's if your roads are as full of potholes as our are.

Registered
i use the hand tight rule for the filter. I have done it in my cars and bike. Seems to seal nice.
This right here.

4 decades of changing oil in multiple cars and bikes, always a thin bead of oil wiped/smeared onto the rubber seal/gasket on the filter, then hand tight - NEVER had a leak, NEVER had a problem getting the filter off.

SUPER MODERATOR
The JAP's since the beginning of Motorcycle time as we know it have always stressed in their owners manual to never-ever over tighten an oil filter-----And wait for it-----every NEW Bike I have ever owned has had an oil filter tightened by Rodan, Mothra or Godzilla to 1,000 inch lbs or more----OUI??????? Even the little singing Japanese twins that sing to bring Godzilla out of Hibernation from the Tokyo rest Home, couldn't help.

Do it like the Doc above said and you will never have any trouble.

** Never install a K&N oil filter, the one with the 17mm Nut welded on top, with a wrench as it can distort the whole filter can enough to cause leaks!!!!!! The nut is only for removing the filter. I found out the hard way once and found 5 quarts of expensive oil laying on my garage floor!!!!!

Sam:)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts