Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed the oil change on my bike and proceeded to make sure the filter was torqued right.

After doing that, I find that I can’t remove the oil filter wrench from the oil filter. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Attached are photos of the filter and wrench. Thanks all!!!

Finger Thumb Font Nail Tree Gas Font Home appliance Circle Output device

·
Registered
279 Posts
Try tightly gripping the the hex part of the filter wrench with a pair of large slip joint pliers, or a pair of channel/grove joint pliers as means of separating the wrench from the filter. A pair of locking/vise grip pliers might be a better option. You'll may need to 'rock' the cup type wrench slightly from one side to other in order to free wrench from the filter. Double check of any oil leaks (with the engine both turned off and running) at the filter and and filter base once you've removed the wrench.

Btw, this situation is fairly common with cup type filter wrenches.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
I just completed the oil change on my bike and proceeded to make sure the filter was torqued right.

After doing that, I find that I can’t remove the oil filter wrench from the oil filter. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

View attachment 69812 View attachment 69813

you chould never "torque" an oil filter. just hand tighten it really good, and lube the new seal with a film of oil before installation.

Also dont use them stupid cup tools, they are really junk and dumb. use a band wrench like this one.

Slip it on all the way to the base of the filter, and it will never get stuck (y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try tightly gripping the the hex part of the filter wrench with a pair of large slip joint pliers, or a pair of channel/grove joint pliers as means of separating the wrench from the filter. A pair of locking/vise grip pliers might be a better option. You'll may need to 'rock' the cup type wrench slightly from one side to other in order to free wrench from the filter. Double check of any oil leaks (with the engine both turned off and running) at the filter and and filter base once you've removed the wrench.

Thanks brother, I will try that!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you chould never "torque" an oil filter. just hand tighten it really good, and lube the new seal with a film of oil before installation.

Also dont use them stupid cup tools, they are really junk and dumb. use a band wrench like this one.

Slip it on all the way to the base of the filter, and it will never get stuck (y)
Thank you!

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
I tap on the tool's edges with a tire iron to knock it off the filter. Then to loosen it if it doesn't come of right away...
After tightening the filter you can "back off on the tool" just enough to overcome the wedging between the filter and cup tool.
Sometimes it will wedge in the opposite direction, against the tightening angle, so you gotta work it back and forth it a little to free it.
I have and use cup type oil filter tools in all of the common sizes found on the Japanese machines. No chance of bending the filter with a cup tool. (y)

S F

·
Zip
2,432 Posts

The band wrench is always my first choice. But when the oil filter is recessed and the end of the filter is completely flush with the bottom of the oil pan (as is the case on my BMW oilhead) then a cup wrench is the only option, even for tightening the filter. There is just no room to get fingers on the filter once it's been tightened a few threads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try putting a 6” socket extension in it and gently working it side to side until you walk it off. I don’t use them either unless the headers are in the way. A little oil wiped from your finger on the inside of the socket also helps if it gets jammed on like this.

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
The band wrench is always my first choice. But when the oil filter is recessed and the end of the filter is completely flush with the bottom of the oil pan (as is the case on my BMW oilhead) then a cup wrench is the only option, even for tightening the filter. There is just no room to get fingers on the filter once it's been tightened a few threads.
A friend has a BMW with a recessed filter like that. You wouldn't want a stuck filter in there. :eek:
Engine parts are close to the Yamaha FJR 1300 filter. A cup tool for it too.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
Thanks, I should do that next time then!
I'd suggest you loosen it now rather than later and then hand tighten it. If you torqued enough to get the cup wrench stuck you may have a heck of a time getting it off later after it's gone thru several heat cycles. It doesn't take very much to get the filter tight enough to stay. Some even have instructions saying ¼ turn after contact with the engine or something along those lines. I go with good and snug. Now calibrate that measurement. :)

·
Visionary
5,136 Posts
I think we have the same wrench, and I have that happen all the time, a tiny turn back will pop it loose, or wiggle it with an extension.
On some bikes the cup type it what works best, for example it's almost impossible to get anything else on an Indian with the filter surrounded by stuff. I often tighten with the wrench too, but gently, less than a turn just as it says on the filter, it's easier than trying to grab it with my fingers.

·
Biker
1,615 Posts

I jus' changed oil in wide glide Saturday, the filter wrench I have has a part of it missing for a reason,
that is so the tight area can be in that missing spot. picture looking down at it and a 3rd of it is missing,
that 1/3 part would be in the area that is a close or rather tight fit. I am NOT a wrencher, but by taking
the time to figure why I had the same issue, I figured out why my filter wrench was made as it was.
If I remember right U NEVA tighten an oil filter with a filter wrench, always hand tight. I am told that
after a short time, a vacuum is produced making a filter wrench needed.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Did you get it off yet? I had the same thing happen to me once. I just put my rachet and extension back into the cup, set it to loosen of course, then held pressure on the rachet handle and tapped it a few times with the other hand.

(Then I found a way to get a small band style wrench on the filter and have never used that cup again.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you get it off yet? I had the same thing happen to me once. I just put my rachet and extension back into the cup, set it to loosen of course, then held pressure on the rachet handle and tapped it a few times with the other hand.

(Then I found a way to get a small band style wrench on the filter and have never used that cup again.)
Thanks RG! Finally got it out using your method. Thanks so much!!! Next time, I’ll use the band type wrench.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also consider looking into to the possibility of finding an oil filter brand that has a hex built into the end of the filter. I've see some, but can't remember the brand (K&N maybe?).

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Also consider looking into to the possibility of finding an oil filter brand that has a hex built into the end of the filter. I've see some, but can't remember the brand (K&N maybe?).
Yep. K&N

S F

·
On The Road Again!
4,100 Posts
I never tighten an oil filter more than hand tight.
They seem to get tighter with time. Too tight when first installed
and you will never get it off.
Same goes for the drain plug. I just give it a slight snug with the
socket. Even then, the next time I remove it, it seems to be unusually
tight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts