Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a full led turnsignal swap on my 6V 1980 suzuki gn400 with 6v to 12v conversion on the front signals. The original flasher really lights one side up but doesn't flash. The 12v relay lights up dimly and turns of. The 6v/12v LED relay lights on turnsignal up on the rear. And a normal 6v flasher relay flashes 3 times in the rear and dims out. Anyone have any idea on how i can fix this???! Please help!(each relay was tested w/ bike on and off)

·
Biker
1,726 Posts
Seems to me an LED bulb draws a lot less current than a regular tail light bulb, usually you have two bulbs working, left front and left rear, or right front and right rear. The base of the bulbs is grounded, one of bottom contacts is low watts filament, for the tail light other is HI for dir. sig or brake light and bat.+ goes to one side of each dir. switch. I think it is more the lack of amps that is the reason as a lot of these relays could be made to work on current drawn. the bulb commonly used draws about.6 amps for tail lite and 2.10 for brake light or turn signal.

The old style flasher was in a metal can with 2 or 3 spade contacts that plugged into the electrical panel, a nichrome wire wrapped around a bi-metalic strip had power applied to it, it heated up, and metal bent, breaking contact, cooled off then heated again, every time it moves it worked the dir. signals

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.