Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I just got my first bike, it's a '88 Yamaha Virago 250. I've got to deal with learning it, and getting my motorcycle license so this this is a bad time to have to deal with mechanical issues, but I've got one...

Symptoms:
Motorcycle runs as weak as my scooter.. This seems to happen after I've let it sit without riding it for a while (maybe a day). The first time it happened I rode it like that for a while thinking 'gee, i thought this was a lot more powerful when i was screwing around with it in the parking lot across the street from my house'. It was low on gas, and when it ran out I switched to the reserve tank and started it up again. It blew a little blue smoke and it was powerful again. After the initial blue smoke there was no more, and lots of power. I thought that the problem that time could have been because I was low on gas, so I filled it up... but after letting it sit another day and trying it in the morning it was weak again. I tried moving the pet**** around and then back to on, and then it was powerful again... Though I can't say for sure that it's because of the pet**** that it worked properly again. I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning and see if it's weak again and try the pet**** solution again to see if that was it.

History of the bike:
It's only got 11,000 km's on it. The last owner let it sit too long with gas in it so he had to rebuild the carb. I checked the air filter and it looks like that was replaced at the same time. Inside the gas tank there is some rust. That's about all I know about it.

So.. anyone have any ideas? Please help me out if you can - it's a real pain to get through the licensing stage here, and if I don't make the first window on the 12th I'll have to wait a while to be tested for my license.

Thanks!
Nick

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,556 Posts
so you already have a full gas tank, check to see what how the bike does when the petc0ck is in normal and in reserve, also search the forum for tank cleaning or something like that, there was a few interesting threads on it, might work out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts