Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am a new rider and just got a 2000 katana 600. I lost my balance while driving it up the driveway so I do my best to gently laid it down(My heart is bleeding, can't believed that I laid it down). I hit the kill switch and keep it upright. I took the seat off so the air can flow freely and after a few tries the bike did starts back up again. After two hours my friend wants to see the bike but it won't start. We jump start it and it did work; however, after a hour we tried without the cables and it won't start. Is there a problem with the battery?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Check water level in the battery. Use only distilled water to refill if low. If the battery is old it may just be time to replace it.
Hope your day gets better.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
No problem, very friendly forum with a lot of people who really know bikes!
I belong to several, i like this one the most.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Some bikes have a tip-over switch mounted (usually down by there center stand) It is intended to kill the engine of the bike tips over onto one side. The switch may need to be reset or replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I finally get a multimeter and tested the battery. I get 11.63. Is this in the good range? and my battery cannot be filled with water, it is completely sealed. It says maintenance free. Where would the tip-over switch be?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,494 Posts
Try to charge it first, but if it will not stay above 12 volts static, replace it. I battery is bad at it's reated level. ie 1.5 volt battery is bad at 1.5 volts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just now I find my bike smells like gasoline so I take the fairing off and find out that petcock(after searching what it's called) is leaking every time I turn it to prime. Anyone has an idea how to fix this?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Has this bike been sitting a while? You may be chasing a few gremlins for a little while. May need to disassemble the petcock and give it a careful cleaning or even a rebuild. Looking at it online looks like it will come apart, but be very careful about the gaskets and possibly the diaphragm as they get fragile with age. from this site looks like you may need to get a rebuild kit.
http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Petcock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-2006-Suzuki-Katana-GSX750-GSX600-K-L-Fuel-Petcock-Repair-Kit-18-2767-/350957106899?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2000|Model:Katana+600&hash=item51b6ac76d3&vxp=mtr

I have bought parts from Partzilla for my 91 CBR. Very reasonable and fast shipping
http://www.partzilla.com/search/?q=*:*&fq[s_types_facet]=Parts&fq[year_facet]=2000&fq[s_makes_facet]=Suzuki&fq[model_base_facet]=GSX600

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright, my bike starts. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!!!
Thank you guys so much!! now I will just have to rebuild my petcock. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts