Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know that's impossible, but are there any upgrades that can give my cruiser somewhat better handling?
I own a 2007 Boulevard S50 and love that it can be ridden all day in comfort but after test riding a Triumph Street Triple I suddenly have a craving for more fun in the twisties.
Instead of coughing up $10k for the triple can anything be done to get more out of the S50? Suspension mods?
Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I put Progressive fork springs and shocks on my S50, which really improved the handling, especially on less than smooth pavement. Better than stock tires are also a good idea - I currently have Avon Venom/Cobra tires, which I find the best so far. I previously had Dunlop 404s, which were still better than the stock Bricks. Just be aware that, in a really hard corner, the foot peg bracket hits down first, and will jack the front wheel off the pavement. My bracket has a few touch marks on the corners, and, believe me, it gets exciting when that happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock tires were replaced with Michelin Commander IIs. They seem to have much better grip.

I'll take your advise to change the shocks. Thanks.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
that advice on the progressive springs was good - have heard that from other people too. you can get quite a lot of turning performmance out of a cruiser if you put your mind to it ... 80% of the improvement comes from your riding abilities and how you use the bike (like shifting your weight on the seat), and maybe 20% comes from mechanical upgrades.

dT

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know about converting it to a cafe racer. It might be a lot cheaper to just buy something a bit more sporty and keep your other bike. $3000 can probably get you an older 600 cc bike...

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Honestly, the best thing would be to sell it and get a standard or sportbike. The FZ series and the Triumph triples are great naked standards. More comfort than a full on sportbike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts