Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone Bikers. At the beggining im sorry for my not the best english. If something won't be clear, I will try to explain what i mean!

So ... I am 30 yo guy, 185/186 cm height and 85/86 kg. When I was "young", about 18 yo, I bought Suzuki GS 500. It was my first bike. I bought it from my friend, using more heart than my brain. It was really good bike. I was riding mainly in or near the city. I have never tried a highway or speed over 130 km/h. To be honest I did like 3000 km in 2 years. I know, not so much. I had and still have respect to motorcycles and their power (even when someone can say that GS500 is weak bike). After that time I was forced to sell my suzuki because of my family...

Today I got more cash, own house, family and my decision about going back to motorbikes is responsible. I ask You to help me choose a bike for me. I wanna use it for everyday city riding in big traffic and sometimes (like one trip per 2-3 months) 200-300 km highway trip (solo). I do not really need big speeds - I am riding 115 horespower 2.0 car mostly 140-150 km/h on highway (I also rode 300 horsepower cars over 200 km/h but it was not so real fun for me). I am thinking about 3 (6) motorcyles, all new - Honda CB500F (or R), Kawasaki Z650 (or ninja650) or Honda CB650R (or CBR650R). My brain says the best and save choose will be CB500F. It's just newer GS500, save pick. My brain with my heart together says go kawasaki ninja or Z650- you can handle it. My heart solo says go honda CBR650R - its beauty. But that bike looks and power is a bit scary for me ;)

What do You think about it? What do You suggest me to choose? If You need any other info about me or my experiences - feel free. Thanks for everyone who spent his expensive time to help me :) ! Cheers from Poland!

·
Short Fuse
421 Posts
What do You think about it? What do You suggest me to choose? If You need any other info about me or my experiences - feel free. Thanks for everyone who spent his expensive time to help me :) ! Cheers from Poland!
Have you thought about the Aprilia 660? That's a beautiful machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you thought about the Aprilia 660? That's a beautiful machine.
Yes, it is. Beautiful machine, indeed. But it's also a bit too expensive and "strong" - 100 horsepower is even more than honda CBR650R. I heard that new biker (i consider myself as a new biker currently) learn more from weaker motorcycles than from the stronger ones. My friend said to me "Its better to ride slow bike fast than fast bike slow" :) Am i right?

·
Short Fuse
421 Posts
My friend said to me "Its better to ride slow bike fast than fast bike slow" :) Am i right?
I don't agree, a slow bike ridden fast means that you are pushing it beyond its limits and putting yourself at risk.

The Honda 500 might be a good choice for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't agree, a slow bike ridden fast means that you are pushing it beyond its limits and putting yourself at risk.

I think my buddy understand his statement in some other way. He thinks that you learn more from weaker bike when you use 100% of it, instead of riding R1 and using only 20% because of fear of such a power :)

To be honest, i am also thinking about CB500F. I heard many good things about "Honda", but in some reviews this bike is called "budget bike". I don't know why. That's why I was thinking about 650 class, because in some reviews they are consider as better ones. I am also wondering if CB500F power will have enough power for me after 1-2 years. Thats was the second reason why I was also thinking about 650 class motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
It is true that you can learn to ride well faster and easier on a light weight motorcycle.
This really isn't your first ever motorcycle, otherwise I would not have recommended it and none of the motorcycles you are looking at are really light weight motorcycles.

Price of insurance would be a deciding factor if you lived here, no idea how much you pay for road insurance where you ride, but you don't buy a street motorcycle here without pricing insurance first. If you lived here you would be shopping for a 250 or 300cc bike to keep the insurance costs affordable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is true that you can learn to ride well faster and easier on a light weight motorcycle.
This really isn't your first ever motorcycle, otherwise I would not have recommended it and none of the motorcycles you are looking at are really light weight motorcycles.

Price of insurance would be a deciding factor if you lived here, no idea how much you pay for road insurance where you ride, but you don't buy a street motorcycle here without pricing insurance first. If you lived here you would be shopping for a 250 or 300cc bike to keep the insurance costs affordable.
In my country road insurance is not fear factor and difference between 250/300 or 500/650 is not so big. Difference between models is more important. For example in Poland CB500F is 26 600 zł for stock version, CBR500R is 30 400 zł, Kawasaki Z650 is 34 200 zł, Ninja 650 37 700 zł and CBR650 R is 39 500 zł. Shiverguy suggested me Aprilia RS660 - its really beauty, but in Poland it cost 49 900 zł. I simply don't know at which money point the bike will be "enough" for me.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
"Its better to ride slow bike fast than fast bike slow" :) Am i right?
What that really means is, learn how to get the maximum out of a smaller bike before moving up. It does not mean to trash the smaller bike. There’s a big difference. So yes, you will learn more and do it safer on a smaller displacement scooter if you think of it in those terms. Learn to make it do everything you want before moving up.

Reactions: Bartax

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what do You all suggest me to buy from all of abovementioned models - Honda CB500F (or R), Kawasaki Z650 (or ninja650) or maybe Honda CB650R (or CBR650R)? I was also considering KTM390 Duke at the beggining, but sadly I heard many bad opinions that KTM's aren't reliable and often needs mechanic intervention... But to be honest, I like Duke 390 style, character and lightweight. I think it would be cool machine to ride in traffic jam. I was sitting on Duke 390 once, but my woman says I look like too big for it (185cm). I don't really know if that was true.

I will respect and appreciate every opinion and advice :)! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If I was a younger rider starting today, I think I would be riding a KTM RC390 by now, but that's just me. I thought that when I was looking at all the bikes at the last motorcycle show :sneaky: pre-covid The other bikes I thought nice but completely different was the Moto-Guzzi V-7 cafe classic and Ducati Scrambler.
So many nice bikes to choose from and I buy mostly euro bikes.
They all need regular service in my opinion, more the better.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
I got Suzuki GSX-S750, and I'll never see the power it has, because it doesn't get to that power until 9000rpm......sorry don't know the metric for rpm

So in the curves I ride 5-7000 rpm 2nd and 3rd gear.......4000 rpm 6th gear = 93kph, sometimes get up to 6th just for kpl

I actually got it new for less than I could get a new Z650.....if you wait toward end of riding season prices drop

extra important if you are going to pay to have maintenance done.......Kaw schedule is 12000Km, Suzuki is 5600km..........check maintenance schedules of any you're considering

Yes often I think I might be more happy with Z400 but now I wouldn't give up the Zuki

Z vs Ninja, Ninja mirrors are on fairing and further out in front.......easier to adjust to a forward lean riding position....Z like my Zuki mirror on handlebars, don't have to lean.....don't have to sit upright unless you want to use mirrors

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,908 Posts
I think the Honda Rebel 1100 would not be a bad choice for a beginner either in standard shift or the DCT .. I am far from a New Rider but was surprised at it's power and torque .. Cruises quite nicely from 40-85 MPH and smooth even at higher speeds .. If you over 6 feet tall might be a bit cramped for it but for me at 5'8" and 29" inseam fit me perfect ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the Honda Rebel 1100 would not be a bad choice for a beginner either in standard shift or the DCT .. I am far from a New Rider but was surprised at it's power and torque .. Cruises quite nicely from 40-85 MPH and smooth even at higher speeds .. If you over 6 feet tall might be a bit cramped for it but for me at 5'8" and 29" inseam fit me perfect ..
Honda Rebel is not my style :) I have to admit it's classy motorcycle, but I need smaller, lighter and more city-friendly motorcycle for traffic-jam. Maybe someday I will try cruisers.

I got Suzuki GSX-S750, and I'll never see the power it has, because it doesn't get to that power until 9000rpm......sorry don't know the metric for rpm

So in the curves I ride 5-7000 rpm 2nd and 3rd gear.......4000 rpm 6th gear = 93kph, sometimes get up to 6th just for kpl

I actually got it new for less than I could get a new Z650.....if you wait toward end of riding season prices drop

extra important if you are going to pay to have maintenance done.......Kaw schedule is 12000Km, Suzuki is 5600km..........check maintenance schedules of any you're considering

Yes often I think I might be more happy with Z400 but now I wouldn't give up the Zuki

Z vs Ninja, Ninja mirrors are on fairing and further out in front.......easier to adjust to a forward lean riding position....Z like my Zuki mirror on handlebars, don't have to lean.....don't have to sit upright unless you want to use mirrors
You are right, it all depends on your right wrist and rpm's.. But still... I'm afraid of bikes over 80 horsepower. I know it's nothing for many people but it's just me :) And i know myself - If I would have 100 horspower bike, I would try how fast he accelerate etc. I don't like big speeds but I like acceleration.

I will be looking for prices drop, because my plan is to buy a motorcycle in winter and saving it in garage till spring.

Do You know where I can compare maintenance schedules? I can't find it. Every model has his own ? Or every brand like honda kawasaki etc. got the same for all models ?

I like Z400 too cause it's more sporty CB500F but it's also less comfortable for long rides and some opinions say that it looks more like toy compared to Honda CB500F.

If I was a younger rider starting today, I think I would be riding a KTM RC390 by now, but that's just me. I thought that when I was looking at all the bikes at the last motorcycle show :sneaky: pre-covid The other bikes I thought nice but completely different was the Moto-Guzzi V-7 cafe classic and Ducati Scrambler.
So many nice bikes to choose from and I buy mostly euro bikes.
They all need regular service in my opinion, more the better.
I like KTM style too.. But one Youtuber from Poland bought recently Duke 390 and was forced to fully repair all engine due to serious problems.. Sadly it cost a big money and so much time.. I like reliable stuff - japanese stuff :) Maybe someday KTM...

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
Honda Rebel is not my style :) I have to admit it's classy motorcycle, but I need smaller, lighter and more city-friendly motorcycle for traffic-jam. Maybe someday I will try cruisers.

You are right, it all depends on your right wrist and rpm's.. But still... I'm afraid of bikes over 80 horsepower. I know it's nothing for many people but it's just me :) And i know myself - If I would have 100 horspower bike, I would try how fast he accelerate etc. I don't like big speeds but I like acceleration.

I will be looking for prices drop, because my plan is to buy a motorcycle in winter and saving it in garage till spring.

Do You know where I can compare maintenance schedules? I can't find it. Every model has his own ? Or every brand like honda kawasaki etc. got the same for all models ?

I like Z400 too cause it's more sporty CB500F but it's also less comfortable for long rides and some opinions say that it looks more like toy compared to Honda CB500F.

I like KTM style too.. But one Youtuber from Poland bought recently Duke 390 and was forced to fully repair all engine due to serious problems.. Sadly it cost a big money and so much time.. I like reliable stuff - japanese stuff :) Maybe someday KTM...
Any dealer can tell you the maintenance schedule of the bikes he's selling

·
Super Moderator
198 Posts
For city riding you can't beat the CB500F. I have a 2018 that I've been riding for almost three years and it has 17,000 miles on it so far. The bike hasn't had any problems at all so far. But it's not the best bike at highway speeds, mainly because of the wind. At 60 MPH the engine is turning 5,000 RPMs but it's not very buzzy or anything...it's just the wind that beats you up. But in the city this bike is awesome. It has good low-end torque and can really get off the line quickly. So, for city or suburban roads it's great. If you put a wind screen on it, highway riding would be okay...not great, but okay.

I wouldn't recommend a CB650R or CBR650R for a returning rider. Just too much power in my opinion...around 94 HP I believe (although most of that is in the higher rev range, around 9K-10K). But I'm considering a CB650R myself after 3 years and 17K miles on my CB500F.

I would go sit on a CB500F, Z650, and Ninja 650 and see which one feels the best. You can't go wrong with any of those three bikes. Very reliable, tried and tested, great reviews. The 650's have about 68 HP and the 500F has about 47 HP so you could grow into a 650 but that doesn't mean the 500F can't keep you happy. In city traffic it's very quick and easy to maneuver. The first year I rode my 500F I made plenty of mistakes with the throttle and many times was glad I was only on a 500 and not a 650 when they happened. It's always better to make a mistake on a smaller bike than a larger bike.

As far as maintenance goes, I take my bike to the dealer every 4,000 miles and they do different things depending on the mileage. It's a little more than what Honda recommends but I think it's worth it. For example, Honda says oil change at 8,000 but my dealer recommends 4,000. Anyway, here's the Honda and Kawasaki recommended service intervals:

Back in 2018 when I was shopping for my first bike I looked at the same three bikes but I picked the 500F just because it felt better to me when I sat on it. Plus I was a little concerned the Z650/Ninja 650 might be too much power for a returning rider at age 57! Good luck and let us know which bike you decide on. That's a nice problem to have because they're all great bikes you'll be happy on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For city riding you can't beat the CB500F. I have a 2018 that I've been riding for almost three years and it has 17,000 miles on it so far. The bike hasn't had any problems at all so far. But it's not the best bike at highway speeds, mainly because of the wind. At 60 MPH the engine is turning 5,000 RPMs but it's not very buzzy or anything...it's just the wind that beats you up. But in the city this bike is awesome. It has good low-end torque and can really get off the line quickly. So, for city or suburban roads it's great. If you put a wind screen on it, highway riding would be okay...not great, but okay.

I wouldn't recommend a CB650R or CBR650R for a returning rider. Just too much power in my opinion...around 94 HP I believe (although most of that is in the higher rev range, around 9K-10K). But I'm considering a CB650R myself after 3 years and 17K miles on my CB500F.

I would go sit on a CB500F, Z650, and Ninja 650 and see which one feels the best. You can't go wrong with any of those three bikes. Very reliable, tried and tested, great reviews. The 650's have about 68 HP and the 500F has about 47 HP so you could grow into a 650 but that doesn't mean the 500F can't keep you happy. In city traffic it's very quick and easy to maneuver. The first year I rode my 500F I made plenty of mistakes with the throttle and many times was glad I was only on a 500 and not a 650 when they happened. It's always better to make a mistake on a smaller bike than a larger bike.

As far as maintenance goes, I take my bike to the dealer every 4,000 miles and they do different things depending on the mileage. It's a little more than what Honda recommends but I think it's worth it. For example, Honda says oil change at 8,000 but my dealer recommends 4,000. Anyway, here's the Honda and Kawasaki recommended service intervals:

Back in 2018 when I was shopping for my first bike I looked at the same three bikes but I picked the 500F just because it felt better to me when I sat on it. Plus I was a little concerned the Z650/Ninja 650 might be too much power for a returning rider at age 57! Good luck and let us know which bike you decide on. That's a nice problem to have because they're all great bikes you'll be happy on.
MAN! I love Your answer !!! So much useful and complete info! :) Thank You very much. So as I "felt under my skin" - CBR and Aprilia seems too strong for me right now. Brain wins over heart... Maybe someday... :) So in game is still CB500F and Kawasaki Z650/Ninja 650. To be honest I like kawasaki Z650 style more. It should be good in the city trffic and maybe even better choice for highway speeds also ? Power of Z650 is no so big, only a bit higher than Honda - I believe I can handle it, especially at low RPM's.

Do You know something about Kawasaki highway "comfortable" speeds? V max seems almost the same from Z650 (about 200 km/h) and CB500F (185 km/h) so I think that the difference has to be in engine vibrations or long term high speed capabilities (I hope I used correct words :D). What's interesting for me, is which bike would fit me better - kawasaki seems very small, even compared to CB500F... Im 185cm/ 85 kg and in many reviews Z650 is recommended for girls and people 160-175... Is ninja 650 bigger? (can't find Ninja650 on "cycle-ergonomics").

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
People worry too much about the engine power differences, it's the bikes weight and the brakes that are going to hurt you and the bikes size that will steepen your learning curve. You will also learn faster on a better handling motorcycle but good handling motorcycles are expensive.

I think that's called catch 22 :unsure:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts