Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well to start off im an idiot
i have been riding for about a year now and i have my bike stored in the basement parking garage of my apartment building i usually go down and turn it on 1nce every week to warm up the engine and whatnot

i decided that i would take it for a little drive around and having not rode in over a month and a half i forgot to take the disc lock off.
now i have the disc lock on my back disc
and when i went to ride i put it into first and went to take off and the lock hit the back bolt ( the bolt bent ) but the disc lock broke

i have pictures but i can't upload

what does the back bolt do?

any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
What bike?
Also, you shouldn't start it to warm it up, unless you are really going to warm it up by riding several miles. All you're doing is putting water in the oil, since it can't get hot enough, idling, to boil it back out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 2012 Honda cbr 250 with abs

and i didn't know that! sorry Ive only been riding for a year now still kinda new to the whole scene!

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Ouch!! That should be the chain adjuster bolt.
It's sideways so it's messing with my head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
like im pretty broke and yeah sorry about the pic thats just how it uploaded lol but is it a big deal? and how much do you think it would cost to fix it ?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Yep, looks like the chain adjusting bolt. Definitely needs fixed or you risk running the rear wheel out of alignment and scorching the rear tire, possibly throwing the chain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys but i know absolutely nothing about how to change.replace . the closest shop to my house is like 4-5 kms away id have to drive it to them come spring :S

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did a quick circle around my parking garage after it happened! i hope that didn't do more damage!

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
thanks guys but i know absolutely nothing about how to change.replace . the closest shop to my house is like 4-5 kms away id have to drive it to them come spring :S
I can't imagine that its too hard to replace. Just get the part and examine how the old one is mounted. It should be a fairly straightforward repair.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You should be able to easily replace it. It looks like you have bent/broken the adjuster on the opposite side from the chain so you basically put it on a stand, pull the axle bolts on both sides, remove the chain from the rear sprocket, pull the wheel back far enough to release the adjuster from the axle, place the new one on the axle and reassemble in the reverse order. After that it is a case of getting the axle and chain aligned properly. If you never changed the setting on the chain adjustment on the other side, the chain should start out adjusted and you are just aligning the wheel to run with no twist at all to the chain/rear sprocket by using that new adjuster. Tighten both axle nuts and you are done.
Be very careful riding at all before replacing the adjuster. If you accelerate hard you will cause that wheel to become misaligned very quickly which may or may not cause lots of damage even if you just go that short distance to a shop. If you are not willing to fix it yourself, have the shop come get it.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Not a big deal to replace, the pain is truing the rear wheel again. You will likely have to back both sides off and make sure you turn both sides the same number of turns.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Don't look at it as screwing up. Look at it as getting an opportunity to know your bike better. You really do need to know how to adjust the chain and this little fix will show you how it all works.

If this had not happened would you have gone forever without adjusting the chain? Sounds like maybe the answer would be yes. So in a way this little incident will be a good thing. If you know your right from your left you'll be just fine. Take your time though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts