Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am a new female rider. just got my motorcycle endorsement and im ready to ride! i found a "what seems to be nice" motorcycle on craigslist. its a 1982 Honda Nighthawk cb450 Custom Bobber, The guy just so happens to be my neighbor, He was selling it for 1,800 and when down to 1,400.

Im spectical about this buy becuase i dont know if im making a smart choice....considering im new to the motorcycle world.

This bike is built like a bobber soo... no front breaks.. turn signals.. horn blah blah blah. Im fine with those things i just mainly want to know if the machine is worth the price. and also this bike has no speedometer.

thanks guys :)

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
Well, you have to ask yourself what good is a bike with no blinkers, horn, front brakes and such. You are just learning to ride also. I highly recommend not getting that bike. Get something else that is safe.

Unless you plan to add the blinkers, horn, front brake or have someone do it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Reply to CPulsar

Well, you have to ask yourself what good is a bike with no blinkers, horn, front brakes and such. You are just learning to ride also. I highly recommend not getting that bike. Get something else that is safe.

Unless you plan to add the blinkers, horn, front brake or have someone do it for you.
Thanks for the quick reply, No i dont mind adding those things on the bike myself at all... I was wondering overall if the bike is worth it. Someone told me.. Like any old bike, as long as you keep it well maintained it will last you a very long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't think it's a great choice for a new rider, but in the end that's up to you. "Worth" is relative here too. I think it's too high for what you're getting, but if it's "the" bike for you, maybe it's worth it to you. That bike is listed at kbb as 1115 retail, and that's of course not taking into account the "mods". So you have to ask yourself if those mods are worth that extra cost.

My problem with an old bike like that is unless you know how to wrench on it yourself, you might run into some big problems taking care of it. Your neighbor can help you now, but what if he (or you) decides to move in 2 months? And getting parts for a bike that old can be time and money intensive...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,686 Posts
You also have a straight exhaust so it is going to be loud which will attract the attention of the police who might notice you have no horn, blinkers and especially no front brake. Front brake is about 70-75%of your braking.

I too would pass on this one

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
My XV1000 bobber has no front brakes, horn or turn signals. As long as you are aware of your surrounding and maintain a safe following distance, it is fine. My bobber, at least, stops fairly well, in spite of its lack of half its braking system. That said, I am also not a new rider and spent 50,000 miles riding other bikes before I bought the bobber.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Is the bike WORTH $1,400? Yes. Someone will pay $1,400 for that bike if it runs well and smoothly throughout the powerband.

Is it something I would put a new rider on? No, probably not. If it had turn signals and brakes.. maybe? But, that all costs money to install and make work.

O

·
0 Posts
Not the bike for a new rider. It needs too much to be safe, and you may not pass inspection depending on
what your state laws are. Go sit on a bunch of bikes, look for those that allow you to put both feet flat on
the ground when stopped. Make sure you can maneuver it around, parking spots, etc. Get a decent machine,
ride and maintain it for a season, then you can sell it for most or all of your money back. You will then be
able to decide on what you really want, and need. Ride safe!

·
American Legion Rider
22,870 Posts
Adding items that have been removed can be very expensive. Especially an older one. It's a personal preference thing after that. You can find the same bike for just a little bit more or even better bike. I wouldn't give $200 for it. But I like a lot of goodies.

Kelly Blue Book
Excellent $1810
Very Good $1285
Good $810
Fair $590

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
No, just no. That model of Nighthawk isn't bad for a beginner, but fixing someone's "custom" bike is not something for a beginner to do. No mufflers, pod filters, I doubt he's tuned the carbs to work with the changes.

·
Registered
518 Posts
NO...this is not a bike you should buy. Find something else that is functional and safe to ride. This isn't it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Decision time..

I'll make a post tomorrow with the bike I've chosen.

Thank you guys for all the input.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The CB450SC is the unwanted stepchild of the Nighthawk family. They also made a 550,a 650and a 700.

For the price he wants,you could get a 700.

I got a nice original 450 that needs only a new seat cover and chain for 200.00 [not running] After I worked on it, It gets 53 MPG. If I had it for sale,a realistic price would be 800-900

Honda did a lot of work to get the carburetion correct on this bike,and the exhaust system is an important balance to get it running right. The factory seat is very comfortable and is very easy to ride for many miles. the front wheel is wrong as is the back wheel.

There. I tried to be objective--so I will withold my comments on the "custom" appearance of the bike in the picture

·
Registered
646 Posts
There. I tried to be objective--so I will withold my comments on the "custom" appearance of the bike in the picture
I won't... it's a hideous bobber job. :) If you use google you might find a forum for bobbers :biggrin: that has some GREAT examples of bobbers done right...

·
Registered
417 Posts
My opinion is that it's not a good first bike. It certainly would be a fun bike to ride around in (assuming everything is in good working order), but as a new, learning rider I would want full braking power at my disposal.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
"Like any old bike, as long as you keep it well maintained it will last you a very long time."

-That's a broad, general statement, that can, broadly speaking, be generally true. <Chuckle>

Most bikes will last a very long time if they're taken care of over their lifetime. The problem when you buy an old bike is that it not only matters how well you maintain it, but how well every previous owner maintained it before you got it and started taking care of it. And most bikes are not properly maintained.

As for getting a bike with no turns signals, front brakes, speedo, and so forth? That won't make it any harder for a new rider to learn, but it might make it more dangerous to learn. (The first woman to ride across the USA on a motorcycle did it on a bike that had no speedo, used her arm for turn signals, and was done about 15 years before the innovative introduction of front brakes was met with skepticism.)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hello, I am a new female rider. just got my motorcycle endorsement and im ready to ride! i found a "what seems to be nice" motorcycle on craigslist. its a 1982 Honda Nighthawk cb450 Custom Bobber, The guy just so happens to be my neighbor, He was selling it for 1,800 and when down to 1,400.

Im spectical about this buy becuase i dont know if im making a smart choice....considering im new to the motorcycle world.

This bike is built like a bobber soo... no front breaks.. turn signals.. horn blah blah blah. Im fine with those things i just mainly want to know if the machine is worth the price. and also this bike has no speedometer.

thanks guys :)
Let me give you a little perspective on that bike. I own a 500 cc Honda CX-500-C that I bought new, yes I am old. It came with a new Vetter IV fairing attached, is water cooled has a shaft drive and gives me 50 MPG on the road. When it was brand spanking new it cost me $2400. The turn signals were mounted and worked, the front fender was on it, the speedometer worked great, the front brakes were disc type and worked, the horn worked, etc.
If you believe that it only lost $1000 after over 30 years and are ready to spend more than $1000 to add things back on that are missing, go ahead. I think it is a total rip off.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu194/farmboy6211/DSC00609.jpg

For a reference,this bike is 350.00 after title work. A new seat cover and a new chain are all that is needed to make it a really nice one.

Hope the uploaded picture works. And yes,the same CB450SC model family as the OP, but 2 years newer and has 7000 miles on the clock.

When you have a motivated seller faced with unknown mechanic's bills at 85.00 an hour, and most importantly,ready cash to buy,there are deals like this around IF you are willing to wait for them...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts