Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a bad fall on my 2007 yamaha v-star 1300 yesterday. I was riding down a back road at 25, it has been raining here in Vegas for a couple days and i didn't see the gravel in the road, and by the time I did I was already on it and lost all traction, my bike went out from under me and slid about 25 feet on the wet gravel and asfault. I came out fine, just a fractured pinky finger. However my bike, not so much. At first it wouldn't start. After turning it off for a little bit it then started, however i then learned my throttle is jammed, I can push it forward however when I pull it back and let it go, it will not reset back to a regular point. I've also noticed that it looks like the whole right mount has been readjusted in the fall. Any advice on how to fix this, and is it just as simple as realigning the mount on the handlebar and lubricating the throttle or what?

This will be my first time working on my bike so any advice would be great!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The throttle return spring may have been damaged or disconnected, one of the cables might have been damaged or broken, or there is something physically binding the return mechanism.

A close inspection may turn up the culprit. The cables need to be routed so there are no sharp bends in them and they should move freely without binding. Check the connections at both ends of the cables for damage. Make sure there is free play in the throttle grip with the cables disconnected if nothing else turns up. Lastly I would check for free movement of the carb throttle parts if everything else is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after taking a closer look today I found that it looks like the Throttle cable was torn apart, possibly the brake cable too but I can't tell for sure yet. Are these cables hard to replace?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
So after taking a closer look today I found that it looks like the Throttle cable was torn apart, possibly the brake cable too but I can't tell for sure yet. Are these cables hard to replace?
Most of the time, it's pretty straightforward to replace the cables. Adjust them until they are loose and just slip the ends out. You should make sure that the replacements are the same length and are routed the exact same way the old ones were.

There are two throttle cables and usually a clutch cable on the left side. The brakes are hydraulic and don't use cables.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Would the owners manuel have the length on my throttle cable? I'm going to try replacing it this weekend, So I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts