Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 ruckus with about 16k on it. In the past 6 months, I have it worked on at the honda shop. I've had 4 valve adjustments. It's always exhaust tightening and he has already went down to the smallest shim and had me replace the valve. 2 adjustments ago. after less than 100 miles it won't start again. He advised me that the valve will need replacing as it already had the smallest shim in there. I asked if there was a way to fix the root cause as this clearly isn't normal valve wear. Maybe a camshaft? He said it has a lot of miles on it. It's probably just worn out. Is there an issue like the cam shaft I should be considering? Should I take to another shop? Thanks for your input guys.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,092 Posts
The Ruckus is a pretty robust scoot. There are a number of them with even more miles than yours! That said, parts do wear out and smaller engines are somewhat more susceptible to wear. Something could be worn out. At minimum, I would recommend getting a second opinion. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I recall, the valves typically tighten up when the valve seat starts receding.

As the valve seat wears away the valve goes back up further in the head, reducing valve clearance. At least that was what used to happen in the ancient post-leaded gas era.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good suggestion. Actually checked the valve seats when we took the head off for the valve replacement. They are fine, the valve itself took the beating and looked like a flower (really thin towards the edges of the valve). Worth noting that was last time. We haven't taken the head off yet this go around but it's only been a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I carefully tuned the jets when I did intake and exhaust. The tech commented that the plug looked great, that I did a good tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts