Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, ***Cross Posted in General Forum

Long story short, I accidentally won a 2013 Hyosung GT250r with 5k on the odometer from auction. I slapped down a $300 in prebid and ended up winning it. It was laid down at low speed and only damaged the fairings.
There was maybe something that got stuck in the chain, which I think caused the crash. Whatever it was, got thrown into the crank casing and broke it. Since the bike new cost like $3,000 I did not want to spend too much on the repair. I simply fixed the case with some steel and JB weld steelstik putty and 'vuala', no more oil leaks. This repair is not structural and did not require a new casing due to the chunk taken out. This crack just allowed oil to freely flow from the housing. The side that cracked was where the magneto is. There was absolutely zero visible damage to the magneto when the cover was removed.
The battery is kinda dead but still holds a little charge (enough to run blinker and tail light but not enough to run fuel pump or starter). Bike will start, idle, and drive once jumped.
I was taking a test cruise in my neighborhood (first test since purchase) and rode great for about 2 minutes, till all power was lost. Since the battery was kinda dead I was unable to start it back up, but was able to push start it. It did this about 10 times in 30 seconds. Luckily, moving at about 30 mph, I was able to release the clutch in gear while cruising to get the bike jumped again everytime. Enough to get me home.

My question is, "Can my motorcycle, or any motorcycle for that matter, run on the charging system alone? Or does it need assistance from the battery? If it can, what do you think the issue is?"

Attachments

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
A vehicle can run only on the charging system alone. I bought a truck earlier this year with a completely bad battery. Jumped it and drove it home without problem. Removing the battery is also a popular mod on older kickstart bikes as the bike's charging system provides power once the engine is kicked into life.

Based on your description thus far? I think your charging system could be on its way out? Is the headlight bright when the bike is running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A vehicle can run only on the charging system alone. I bought a truck earlier this year with a completely bad battery. Jumped it and drove it home without problem. Removing the battery is also a popular mod on older kickstart bikes as the bike's charging system provides power once the engine is kicked into life.

Based on your description thus far? I think your charging system could be on its way out? Is the headlight bright when the bike is running?
When the bike is on and running, everything is bright and functioning as it should. I will just be cruising 25-40 mph and it will just turn off. Its weird.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Alright, so charging system itself may be fine. That's an efi bike so it's not like you're getting into a carb dead spot that kills the bike. First thing I'd do is get a cheap $20 battery off someplace like Amazon. See if that changes anything. I wonder if there's a short or a bad ground somewhere that causes it to die.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts