Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 81 Honda Twinstar in Hopes Of Fixing it up. Everything on the Bike seems to work just fine but I have no spark! I have been looking for hours on all the part sites I can find for a ignition coil (30500-465-771)or(30500-465-772) for a twinstar. However it has been discontinued by Honda. Is there any other coil that can work in its place? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
55 Posts
have u called local honda motorcycle dealers that u can go to to have look up parts for u? or bring the coil or auto zone they can cross reference the part and find it for u

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and got a new coil today before i left with it the shop owner put it on a load tester and it checked out okay. We also put the old coil on there and the signal was real weak, so i believe that it was good idea to change it out. However I'm still not getting any spark to thee engine. I have looked over the diagrams trying to figure out what it is but still struggling to see what could be causing the problem. Thanks for replyng.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to a shop that has hundreds of old coils found two that are compatible and we loaded tested the two i got before we left. Still no spark though. Thanks for replying

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stop Engine Switch?

After looking at the wiring diagram I'm wondering if there is not a problem with the stop engine switch. That seems to be breaker number 2 in the ignition coil line, but it seems weird that a simple switch would go bad.

T

·
0 Posts
After looking at the wiring diagram I'm wondering if there is not a problem with the stop engine switch. That seems to be breaker number 2 in the ignition coil line, but it seems weird that a simple switch would go bad.
Sometimes the kill switches do go bad. Like you said, its just a simple micro switch. Snowmobiles have the same type switches. And the first thing we do when we have no spark on them is unplug the kill switch. 9 times out of 10, thats the problem. Especially when you use it all the time to turn off the motor. I always try to use the key switch instead because of the problem. However, the Twinstars are also known for the coils going bad too. Both of our Twinstars have had their coils replaced in their lifetimes.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Here's what you can try:

Make sure the battery is charged. Then turn on the ignition and make sure the kill switch is set to "run." Check for voltage on the positive side of the coil's primary circuit by putting one test lead on that coil terminal and the other on a known good ground. You should show something close to 12 vdc.

If not, then the problem is likely in that side of the circuit, which includes the kill switch. It could be the switch itself or it could be a shorted or broken wire, loose connection, and so on.

If you have the 12 vdc, then the problem is likely in the ignition module side of the primary circuit. It could be the module itself, (or points if you have them,) the wires and connectors, or it could be in whatever triggers your ignition system, such as a Hall effect device or what-not.

(I'm assuming you've already checked your spark plug wires and boots to make sure they're not at fault.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1979 Twinstar . My problem Is I have spark to top of sparkplug but will not spark at end of plug. New points and plug. Could the problem be the condenser or maybe the coil, or neither? What could it be, I'm stumped!!! Thanks Gene

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's what you can try:

Make sure the battery is charged. Then turn on the ignition and make sure the kill switch is set to "run." Check for voltage on the positive side of the coil's primary circuit by putting one test lead on that coil terminal and the other on a known good ground. You should show something close to 12 vdc.

If not, then the problem is likely in that side of the circuit, which includes the kill switch. It could be the switch itself or it could be a shorted or broken wire, loose connection, and so on.

If you have the 12 vdc, then the problem is likely in the ignition module side of the primary circuit. It could be the module itself, (or points if you have them,) the wires and connectors, or it could be in whatever triggers your ignition system, such as a Hall effect device or what-not.

(I'm assuming you've already checked your spark plug wires and boots to make sure they're not at fault.)
Very helpful, identified the problem within minutes. Spent 4 days trying on my own. Now I just have to find a replacement coil

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,778 Posts
Damn, Eye hasn't been here in a few years and a 7 year old post fixes this guys problem. I knew he was good but damn......

Very helpful, identified the problem within minutes. Spent 4 days trying on my own. Now I just have to find a replacement coil

·
American Legion Rider
21,081 Posts
That's great. Proves that a little searching here can get you a ton of information. I love it when we see successes like this.

Reactions: blulew

·
Visionary
3,610 Posts
amazing how that works sometimes :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts