Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELMETS

As I stated in a previous post, a helmet saved my life when I totaled my first motorcycle, so that is the one piece of equipment that I ALWAYS wear. Even if I am just going to the end of the driveway… I do have a long driveway! :)

I knew I wanted a quality, full face helmet. After some online research and recommendations from the dealer where I bought the bike, I decided on a Shoei Qwest full face helmet in silver.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?QWEST&h=20&t=1

(Note: for some reason the above link will only bring up the graphic Qwest models. To see the solid models like I have, with appropriate pricing and features, click on one of the solid Qwest helmets in the bottom row.)

It has some noise reduction features, and I know some helmets can be very noisy to the point of distraction. It is both DOT and Snell approved, which is a plus. Ventilation is good, and Shoei is a well-respected brand with a good reputation.

Mine is comfortable, fits well and I’m very pleased with it. I don’t have the optional Pinlock anti-fog insert, just because some riders mentioned in their reviews that it can contribute some additional glare, particularly in night riding. Instead I use Scotts Sports NoFog Cleaner Spray, and it has worked well for me so far.

The visors can be changed easily and lock into place securely. I purchased a tinted visor to go along with the clear visor that was included.

The only downside I’ve found to the Shoei Qwest is the cost. MSRP is $388, and I paid about $305, plus tax.

My wife selected a GMax GM67S Three-Quarter helmet for pillion riding. I tried to convince her to go with a full face for more protection, but none of the full face helmets she has tried on were comfortable to her, and she feels too confined, she says. I'm still trying to change her mind.

http://www.g-max.com/helmets/gm67s.html

She really likes her GMax helmet, especially the built-in "flip" sun lens. It is DOT approved and has an MSRP of $90. We paid around $70 + tax.

I look forward to hearing about what features you look for in a helmet, which ones you like - or not - and why.

Next up: VESTS

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
I have a full face HJC
a modular GMax with the flip down visor
a HJC 3/4 with the flip down
a half helmet - don't know why

The full face I use for autoX they require a Snell approved helmet

The modular I wear in cooler weather
The 3/4 in warmer weather
the 1/2 sits on the shelf.
All 3 are Dot approved.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Shoei has always made awesome helmets both in comfort & in quality construction. But as you noticed, they are a bit pricey.

I was helmet shopping last year, and I decided to get another modular helmet. Full face may be safer, but I get too claustrophobic in them. So, my compromise is to get a high quality modular.

But not just a traditional 'flip up' modular.. the "LS2 Convert" helmet chin bar can be flipped completely over & tucks against the back of the helmet. So it can be comfortably used in the open position even at highway speeds. To me that's awesome!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is pretty cool! I had never seen one like that before.

But not just a traditional 'flip up' modular.. the "LS2 Convert" helmet chin bar can be flipped completely over & tucks against the back of the helmet. So it can be comfortably used in the open position even at highway speeds. To me that's awesome!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
A helmet saved my life when I wrecked in about 1980. (Maybe 1979, I forget.) Okay, I can't say for certain that it saved my life, but it had some pretty decent scratches that would likely have been on the back of my head had I not been wearing it. It was a full faced inexpensive helmet of whatever kind was popular back then. It was white, I remember that.

Now a days I wear a half helmet most of the time. Not sure what the brand is, but it did have a DOT sticker on it at one time. I've had this one for maybe, six years I'm guessing.

·
Ace Tuner
2,938 Posts
HELMETS

My wife selected a GMax GM67S Three-Quarter helmet for pillion riding. I tried to convince her to go with a full face for more protection, but none of the full face helmets she has tried on were comfortable to her, and she feels too confined, she says. I'm still trying to change her mind.
As best I can remember, according to the Hurt study, in a crash 70% of head injury's are to the facial area.
I stopped wearing open face helmets a long long time ago.

·
14,359 Posts
The HJC I am in the car behind the windshield so I don't get any wind noise. The Gmax is fairly quiet as long as it is properly closed.

Altho both are the same size the HJC is a lot tighter and I couldn't wear it for more than 30 minutes or so. At least it was, I haven't AutoX'd in a couple of years. I may have to try it for a short ride and see.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I fit well in an HJC so that is what I wear. My daily rider is the FG version of a 3/4 helmet. It cost about $10 more than the IS version but the differences are worth it in my book. I also have a seldom used IS and an even less used modular. All fit me well but I would rather ride at 20ºF in my 3/4 than put on the modular. It makes no sense to me either but it is a fact.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Is it at all possible that your modular is noisier? Maybe it has a whistle around the hinge points or something. If that isn't it then I bet it's peripheral vision is not to your liking. That's why I like my half helmet but it darn sure won't protect as well.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
As best I can remember, according to the Hurt study, in a crash 70% of head injury's are to the facial area.
I stopped wearing open face helmets a long long time ago.
The Hurt Report shows something radically different than the claim. This comes from a drawing the CDC claims was by Dr Otte, but nobody can find any of Dr Otte's materials that contain this drawing............hmmmm

The first diagram is from the Hurt Report, near the bottom is the explanation of the other diagram, which is used heavily in advertising because, well, full face helmets cost more. (you can click on the Hurt Report diagram for a bigger picture to make it easier to read)

https://clas-pages.uncc.edu/visualr...etmar-ottes-motorcycle-helmet-impact-diagram/

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have a Fulmer modular, I wear when I'm on the Yamaha and going fast. After 75 the wind is too much for a half shell.

I have an Xelement (2 in 1) with the chin bar removed I use in colder weather.

Mainly I use a Bell half shell with goggles. I really like goggles, but my next half shell I'm going to get a drop down. The critters aim for the little strip of forehead between the top of goggles and bottom of helmet.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Which is quieter? the HJC or the GMax?
Interestingly I see this thread while I have both helmets out, transferring gloves and balaclavas from bag to bag. :)
I have both an HJC mod and GMax mod. Both have retractable sun screens. The HJC has more padding and the build quality seems a little better, so its a bit quieter then the GMax. Although my GMax has that weird external sun shield that probably doesn't help with the wind noise. However the GMax cost close to $100 less then the HJC and is more comfortable on long days. My one grip about the GMax is that the chin guard has no moisture absorbing fabric on it. So when I lift it up to talk to someone, the condensation, (IE, drool, snot, etc) drips down and freezes to whatever it lands on. Though I think this would only be an issue in sub freezing temperatures. :eek:

·
14,359 Posts
That suprises me about the Gmax as they are originally snowmobile helmets.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
That suprises me about the Gmax as they are originally snowmobile helmets.
Yep, both my wife and I have the identical Gmax helmets that we use for snowmobiling. Hence the heated shield and external (can't frost up outside the helmet) sunshield. I guess I don't know which is worse, having absorbing material that needs to be rinsed out or just letting it drip out. Our previous helmet had disposable absorbing pads that you needed to replace or the shield would fog/frost up. My wife called them diapers. I called them something else.:rolleyes: But other then that, we real like the Gmaxes. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts