Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride an Electraglide and wear a full face helmet, usually with no shield and with sunglasses. I live in Ohio and am about to move to Las Vegas. I'd really like to keep the chin protection, but have a windshield for wind. Anybody wear a full face helmet in the desert? Is it doable without getting heat stroke?

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
Some people may be able to do that, but I sure as hell couldn't!
Some people are always cold. I'm always too hot. This morning I went riding with a friend at 6:30 am. It was 65 degrees and I was comfortable in just a T shirt. He was wearing a heavy jacket.

Everyone's physiology is different.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I've worn a modular helmet in 112º but I did it with a cool collar and wet T-shirt. I have a half helmet and have worn it in 105º doing the same. When it's hot it's hot abd I can't say the half helmet helped that much. They do make an air conditioned helmet you might look into. Not being used to the heat like I am, you will feel it much much more than I. So that kind of helmet might be just what you need.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I think you can do it. May take a while to get used to the new climate, but start with short rides, see how you do, then work your way up to longer rides. Stay hydrated, take breaks when you need them and when its blistering hot, take the car. :)

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I'm fair skinned with thinning hair. After thirty plus years working outside with thousands of dollars of medical bills to remove suspect skin spots, today I'll cover what I can from the sun, even in the desert. Look into light colored mod helmets with better venting. You shouldn't need to remove the shield to get proper venting. Also, look for helmets with removable, washable, moisture wicking padding. On long trips I'll bring an extra liner and rotate/rinse them out a few times per day. Can I also recommend a mesh jacket. You get the breeze without the sun burn.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
For me, an open face helmet, not a half helmet, and sometimes called a 3/4 helmet works. Cooler than a full face, but still good protection. I have never landed on my face. It seems a natural instinct to turn your head, and get whacked on the side.
Shoei makes a Snell approved open face helmet. I have one, and just about always had one.
You can wear sun glasses or regular glasses with a Shoei. Many helmets do not let the arms slide in. You can wear goggles in the rain and dust, or a flip down visor in the rain.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Get some light colored, long sleeve T-shirts also, if that's your style. Anyhow, keep your arms covered up. Burnt mine in Arizona once. That was enough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Southern California, in a high desert valley. California requires helmets (a law that I have nothing against). I wear a full-faced helmet year-round. For the summer, wear a helmet with LOTS of ventilation. I lean towards dual-sport helmets, like my SS2500, or my previous AFK-41. They're very cool in 100+ degree heat. It's the jacket you wear that well kill you. Find mesh jackets with good reviews and lots of ventilation + armor AND a lighter color (black attracts heat). You'll have the most water loss through your torso. Stay hydrated, you'll sweat no matter what you do or wear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read on a forum about wearing a wicking t shirt with my mesh jacket to help with the hydration. Best of luck on the move.

·
Registered
20 Posts
People can ride here in Texas with no helmet but I find in the summer my head is actually cooler with a helmet. I think it insulates me from the heat to some degree. Still sweat like crazy and have a ballcap ready for when I get off the bike.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
While I wear a Shoei modular in the Spring, Fall and Winter, for the hot weather in the summer I wear a Bell 3/4 helmet. It has a pull down visor for use when it rains, and it also has a built in sun visor that I have occasionally used over my actual sunglasses when it is super bright outside. The 3/4 design gives pretty good protection and is a reasonable compromise when a full face is just too hot to wear. When I have been on long trips where I will only have one helmet, I wear the Shoei Neotec modular, and keep the chin bar locked in the up position when it is really hot. I know that Shoei does not recommend riding with the helmet in this position but I will take my chances.

As to a jacket, I had been searching for a mesh jacket with armor protection. I have tried many mesh jackets and some work, and some don't. Riding a Goldwing, even with Baker Wings to deflect air upon me, so much airflow is blocked by the fairing and windscreen that many mesh jackets felt like roasting pans and I was the chicken! But this year I splurged and spent $350 for the Klim Induction jacket. Not only does it truly allow a huge amount of airflow, but it is a really top quality, well made motorcycle jacket. I have never owned anything by Klim before but this jacket has made me into a big fan of their products.

A final comment. For years I lived in San Antonio, Texas, where the heat could be unbearable for months on end. Evenings would see a slight decrease in temperature, but then the masses of bugs fill the air. I found that some summers I would not ride virtually at all from about mid-June through mid-September. Living in the Midwest now, I think that my not riding in the winter months is a shorter period than when I did not ride in the Southwest due to the heat. Las Vegas is even worse. You have my sympathies. If I had to move to Vegas, I think I would consider giving up on riding.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
This is a helmet from out friends in Canada. Probably a dual sport touring helmet. The new model is AFX FX-41. Apparently the poster deemed it better to appear cool and not post any info about the helmet.
There are helmets that seem to have everything built in. Shades, visor, flip up and down things, including the chin guard. All for a cheap price, and made in China.

I prefer to have a helmet that I can use my own shades, or glasses, and or visor. I always have a neck tube if it cools off.
If the shades are built in, you would need to pack a regular pair as well.
A couple of years from purchase, it might not be possible to replace the built in stuff.

UK

·
Registered
319 Posts
I ride an Electraglide and wear a full face helmet, usually with no shield and with sunglasses. I live in Ohio and am about to move to Las Vegas. I'd really like to keep the chin protection, but have a windshield for wind. Anybody wear a full face helmet in the desert? Is it doable without getting heat stroke?
Must be doable; cause I see it when I'm there.

Last time in Vegas, 107 in the shade, 2 guys on bikes, full helmets, black jackets, pants and boots sitting at the traffic light next to me...I had the air on in the car and was not "wishing I was them".

Buy a helmet 3 sizes too large and line it with ice packs before you head out...stick some ice packs in all your pockets too.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I'm not in the desert but I was out riding just a few days ago when
the temperature was 102º with heat index was 116º and I survived.

However I didn't have a full-face helmet but did have a modular in
closed position with face shield closed. I did open the shield at traffic
lights if I sat there very long.

Hot is hot. You get used to it.

Stay out of air conditioned buildings and cars. They only make it worse. JMO

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
I live in Las Vegas. I ride very little between June and mid to late September, which is when riding season starts for us. Mid fall and winter will range in daytime temps from low to mid 60's to the mid 70's. Just out of preference i wear a 3/4 but I also have a modular that I wear often. I'm an ATGATT guy. During the warm months it's up early, ride to Mt. Charleston and home by around 10am.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. What part of town are you moving to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Apparently the poster deemed it better to appear cool and not post any info about the helmet.
I didn't have much other information on the helmet.

The AFX FX-41 is a helmet I found on eBay and enjoyed.

I currently ride using an SS2500 helmet, made by Speed and Strength. Also a dual sport helmet.

The helmet appears to be discontinued on their site.

Find a good helmet (dual sport helmets like the two I mentioned above tend to have a lot of ventilation, which helps) that you're comfortable with in the heat.

Ventilation helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.