Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a long ovel helmet that isnt florescent orange and covred in skulls. if it can be had, i would like to get hold of a full face helmet with a face shield. thanks, and sorry if im whipping a dead horse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i need a long ovel helmet that isnt florescent orange and covred in skulls. if it can be had, i would like to get hold of a full face helmet with a face shield. thanks, and sorry if im whipping a dead horse.
I have a weirdly shaped head | large, but flat in the back. Annoying. Anyway I have a Shoei RF-SR and it fits my head great. Is full-face and has a shield.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
You can find head shape charts online. I have a skinny head and am pretty much relegated to wearing Shoei or Arai helmets...good thing I like em ;) I have tried o. a hundred Bell helmets and have never found one that fits. I do have a couple other brands that were inexpensive and aren't too bad, but for the most part, I stick with what works.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a long ovel alien head. i made a daytona open face helmet that kind of conformed to my head, but i had a minor accidant and that helmet cracked and went flying when i hit. i was told this hapoened for two reasons, bad fit, and the chin strap on those helmets suck. ill check those helmets out. thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is a long list of slighty narrow/long oval helmets

The helmet of choice for my melon is HJC RPHA Pro 11

Reactions: El Sluggo

·
Visionary
3,825 Posts
Arai Signet X is a long oval, more oval than most in fact. It comes in a a wide variety of colors, mine actually IS fluorescent yellow, no skulls though, but they make them in a variety of colors. It's not cheap but by far the most comfortable helmet I have owned, and it's wearing well, must have around 200k miles on it and I wear it daily.
If you ride a lot of day/ night rides then add the pro-shield system, gives you a flip down dark visor which is super convenient.

·
Registered
35 Posts
LS2 seems to specialize in long oval helmets. This (link) is the one I have, but in a putrid fluorescent yellow/green with accents of reflective red and blue tape that I added; it fits my anvil head well. I asked for the putrid color; maybe if car drivers notice that color, the will be so repelled they stay away from me!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
LS2 seems to specialize in long oval helmets. This (link) is the one I have, but in a putrid fluorescent yellow/green with accents of reflective red and blue tape that I added; it fits my anvil head well. I asked for the putrid color; maybe if car drivers notice that color, the will be so repelled they stay away from me!
Vanessa and I bought a pair of matching LS2 helmets and found them to be pretty cheaply made. Her visor kept falling off and the little hubs were garbage. We found a Shoei J Cruise still in the box at a secondhand motorcycle shop and she absolutely loves it. I ordered the matching helmet off Revzilla and am still waiting for it...long story there. But IMO you can't substitute for quality. I'll never buy a cheap helmet again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought this helmet mainly because it fit; I'm sure more expensive helmets have advantages over it. I can say I've used it for 28,000 miles of travel and have not had any serious issues, but it does seem rather utilitarian rather than refined.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
301 Posts
I just watched coneheads Sunday night. This thread reminded me of them showing them driving what looks like a 70's Harley with a side car and thier extra tall sparkle red helmets.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I bought this helmet mainly because it fit; I'm sure more expensive helmets have advantages over it. I can say I've used it for 28,000 miles of travel and have not had any serious issues, but it does seem rather utilitarian rather than refined.
I hear you. We were in Cycle Barn and started looking at helmets...Vanessa spotted the LS2 with open face and full visor and really liked it so I decided to try one too. I didn't have a better option for the cruiser, and my full face sport bike helmets didn't seem to fit the bill, so I was on board. Mine never really fit great but it worked fine. Hers fell apart and then when she found the Shoei and tried it on it was like a whole new world to her...the padding is so much better and more comfortable.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have tried a few helmets. im beginning to think i may need a custom, or learn some tricks to make one fit. I havebto have a full face helmet. at this point i really dont care if it has japanese aneme all over it, i just need it to not be a thousand bucks right now. and after my little wreck, i need it to stay on my head. i found a place that sells gear, im just going to go in and see what they say. to give you a better idea of what im dealing with, when i have the daytona open face helmet on i can slide my flattened hand up between my temple and the helmet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cycle Gear should have a good selection of helmets that you can try on. The one by me will let you wear it in the store for as long as you want to make sure it fits good and doesn't cause any discomfort.

Here is a list of locations in Texas
Austin (512) 302-0700
Bedford (817) 545-7939
El Paso (915) 444-2702
Fort Worth (817) 696-9700
Greenspoint (281) 448-3700
Houston (713) 941-3364
Katy (800) 292-5343
Killeen (254) 350-2893
Lewisville (469) 293-1047
McAllen (956) 515-2279
Plano (214) 473-8044
San Antonio (210) 558-8700
Sharpstown (713) 271-5201

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cycle Gear should have a good selection of helmets that you can try on. The one by me will let you wear it in the store for as long as you want to make sure it fits good and doesn't cause any discomfort.

Here is a list of locations in Texas
Austin (512) 302-0700
Bedford (817) 545-7939
El Paso (915) 444-2702
Fort Worth (817) 696-9700
Greenspoint (281) 448-3700
Houston (713) 941-3364
Katy (800) 292-5343
Killeen (254) 350-2893
Lewisville (469) 293-1047
McAllen (956) 515-2279
Plano (214) 473-8044
San Antonio (210) 558-8700
Sharpstown (713) 271-5201

huge fat thank you! just to be sure, THANK YOU! i was about to pull out a saw and duct tape.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Med is the size that should fit me.......but most helmets are too square and squishes my forehead to the back of my head, some so bad that within minutes I have a bad headache

HJC I wear a MED and it fits, Vega isn't bad but Large is better especially when I have hair. I had an Xelement that fit right, they no longer make helmets but I believe it was Hawk that actually made the helmet......can be bought at leatherup.com

Hawk makes a modular that the chin bar opens all the way back behind your head.....interesting buuut
I wear half shell with windshield, and I wear full face without windshield, don't need modular to open all the way behind my head.....a normal modular would be nice to raise the chin bar to talk, but the wind noise is horrible.

·
Registered
111 Posts

When I sold bikes in Hollywood in the early 80's I had a customer who is Korean. His family was with him. I tried to help him find a helmet. He tried on several and we found one that was OK. His mother told me that Koreans had wide heads and not round, kinda flat in the back.

In anthropology or evolutionary biology it's called the "cephalic indices." Different races have different shaped heads. Ok, let the PC folks now tell me I'm being a racist.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I sold bikes in Hollywood in the early 80's I had a customer who is Korean. His family was with him. I tried to help him find a helmet. He tried on several and we found one that was OK. His mother told me that Koreans had wide heads and not round, kinda flat in the back.

In anthropology or evolutionary biology it's called the "cephalic indices." Different races have different shaped heads. Ok, let the PC folks now tell me I'm being a racist.

there is truth to that. we ride with a guy from etheopia, and he will flat out tell you the exact same thing. he, nor his wife can get a helmet that fits. nothing racist about facts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts