Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have friends who ride without a helmet, and think they don't help. I hope this picture might help persuade those who have this sort of mind set to change their minds. This is one of my cousins during his four week stay in the hospital after being hit by a deer............in downtown La Grange, TX on Main St. He also had four broken ribs, cracked vertebra in his neck and back, a broken leg and nose.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Definitely a wake up call........I'll give ya that! I wear one, but I realize that we (humans) can be broken up in a lot of ways other than what happens to our "head." But given the fact that "the head" is running the show, it's definitely worth protecting.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
I have yet to see where the shock value of pictures will change the die hard. It simply can never happen to them or they say so what. Those that will wear do.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
^^^^ Yup exactly :(

It's just like around here they put graphic pictures of diseased cancer ridden lungs onto the sides of cigarette packs.. to try and discourage smoking.. That had minimal impact too

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
So your cousin said oh gawd, oh gawd, wannaride you were soooo right, take my picture and splatter it all over the internet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always wear a helmet no matter what. Its part of my routine, but theres also no reason not to in my opinion. I know quite a few people from La Grange. I'm right down the road from there.

Eric

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
But given the fact that "the head" is running the show, it's definitely worth protecting.-Soupy
There's a story about the old days when the parts of the body were arguing about who'd be boss.

The brain said, "I control all thoughts and movements of the body, you can't think or move without me so I should be boss."

The eyes said, "We see everything, you can't move around or pick things up without seeing them so we should be boss."

The mouth said, "I take in food and allow you to talk, without me you would starve and be unable to communicate so I should be boss."

The legs said, "I allow you to walk, without me you couldn't move around so I should be boss.

EDIT: I don't ride anywhere on my bike without my helmet!

EDIT: I don't go anywhere on my bike without a helmet.

The a***hole just shut off. Within a couple of days the brain went fuzzy, the eyes wept and closed, the mouth had a filthy taste in it and slurred speech and the legs got wobbly.

Which just proves you don't have to be brainy, you don't have to have foresight, you don't have to be a great communicator and you don't have to able to move around to be a boss. You've just need to be an a***hole!

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
The body

Bill Cosby said the body is a democracy with all parts being equal.
But when lowering yourself in to a hot bath, some parts may be more equal than others.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
l like that one Crusty :)

lt wasn't too long ago l was posting stuff on here about how l thought it should be, what is wrong with these people not wearing the right gear,not wearing bright clothing, etc etc etc. Somewhere along the line it dawned on me...it really is just like any other aspect in life. People will not always see things my way, just because they don't verbally oppose me doesn't mean they agree with me, and the bottom line...they are going to do what they want to do and there is nothing l can do about it. And to be honest, l now feel like it is really none of my business. Everyone gets to make their own choices.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Damn deer don't know forest from asphalt. I ride 30 miles out in the sticks and come back into town and nearly hit one where the highway is six lanes, plus access roads, covered in streetlights, right in front of Wal-Mart.

What was he doing, grocery shopping?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
l like that one Crusty :)

lt wasn't too long ago l was posting stuff on here about how l thought it should be, what is wrong with these people not wearing the right gear,not wearing bright clothing, etc etc etc. Somewhere along the line it dawned on me...it really is just like any other aspect in life. People will not always see things my way, just because they don't verbally oppose me doesn't mean they agree with me, and the bottom line...they are going to do what they want to do and there is nothing l can do about it. And to be honest, l now feel like it is really none of my business. Everyone gets to make their own choices.
and let me add, the more nagging the less likely they will see anything your way, and the more likely they will avoid being around you. Hope that little girl doesn't nag her Daddy to the point he won't ride with her anymore, she doesn't know how lucky she is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts