Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a friend tell me she doesn't wear a helmet, the reason was because she has heard stories of helmets causing deaths. Has anyone else heard stuff like that? This is the first I've heard, and it kind of made me sad to hear someone take advice and stories like that so serious.

I am a helmet advocate, as much as I really do hate them... I also like my brains inside my skull...lol

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I just had a friend tell me she doesn't wear a helmet, the reason was because she has heard stories of helmets causing deaths. Has anyone else heard stuff like that? This is the first I've heard, and it kind of made me sad to hear someone take advice and stories like that so serious.

I am a helmet advocate, as much as I really do hate them... I also like my brains inside my skull...lol
I have heard it, dont remember where, but I think the evidence is pretty solid that wearing a helmet is better.
One thing that I have heard is that in the event of an accident leave the helmet alone until properly trained help arrives and can accurately assess the injuries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand the leaving it on for trained personnel to arrive, but that goes the same with don't move your neck/head until then either. To me it just sounds like her biker friends are anti helmet and don't want people on their bikes wearing them...

Btw good news I picked up a Scorpion exo400 yesterday for 90.00, it was half off due to a scuff on the rear brim of the helmet.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Razorof ... your friend is spouting BS.
C'mon .. does that sound even remotely sensible?

It is important to remember than helmets can only do SO MUCH. no more.
if you impact at 60 mph ... no guarantees.
the helmet tests cover impacts at potentially lower speeds.
there is NO data for what a helmet might do at high speeds - how would anyone possibly get such data?? its impossible.

just the same ... I will always wear a helmet.
forget impacts.
just think of a slide on that type of rough asphalt I like to call "cheese grater asphalt". ever seen that stuff? you slide on that without a helmet, and your entire face will be removed. that's a good enough reason, right there :)

dT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I know it's bs... I decided to Google it, and all the anti-helmet sites had fear propaganda based on untested theories.

·
Very Famous Person
9,686 Posts
--

On about three occasions, I would have probably been seriously hurt, or killed, if I had not had one on.

Reminds me of jeepers I used to ride with years ago that would say, "I don't wear a seat belt so if I get in an accident, I can jump out." Probably the same dopes.

--

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yes, there is a small chance that the helmet could actually kill you, but there's a bigger chance one will save you. If you are driving at high speeds, then it's probably gonna turn into a brain bucket, but that's not the helmets fault. There's a small chance I can die in an earthquake today, but it's not stopping me from living my life.

Wearing a helmet is a personal choice for many, so why would anyone want their friends to dictate what they do.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Ex dropped a bike on a wet curve when he was young and took out a steel post with his head - if not for his helmet, he would have been dead on the spot. I don't like them (construction hardhats to) but wear them all the time.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I'm one that would not be here if not for helmet in a crash on wet roads. There is no doubt my brains would have been on the ground. Still got a serious concussion. And the doc said the cracked vertebrae I got in my neck WAS due to the helmet. So what? A couple cracked vertebrae or no life? And anyone that would die with one would surely die without one I would think but could it happen? Maybe, in some very weird case. And people want to rely on some weird case as their guide? Not this guy.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
I'm one that would not be here if not for helmet in a crash on wet roads. There is no doubt my brains would have been on the ground. Still got a serious concussion. And the doc said the cracked vertebrae I got in my neck WAS due to the helmet. So what? A couple cracked vertebrae or no life? And anyone that would die with one would surely die without one I would think but could it happen? Maybe, in some very weird case. And people want to rely on some weird case as their guide? Not this guy.
Think this pretty much tells it all .. Much better odds of living wearing although a slight chance of damage with a helmet as well .. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yeah helmets might actually cause or increase head injuries in 0.001% of all traffic accidents.. But they can also improve or eliminate head injury in 70-90% of accidents.

.. you decide which choice to risk your life on :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, don't wear a helmet if you want..... all I can say is, if I hadn't been wearing this one a few years ago, I would have deprived you of viewing this beautiful face! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,494 Posts
In the 1% of accidents where the helmet will actually cause an injury, the impact will be so severe that it wouldn't make a difference with or without a helmet.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I lost a riding buddy while he was wearing a helmet. The only injury was the splinters from his helmet in his head. Not saying he would have survived without it, but sliding on wet pavement it appeared he was not able to keep his head off of the concrete. We were going less than 30 mph.

With that happening some 35 years ago, I still wear the helmet, and not just because it's the law.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ive never heard of helmets causing deaths. I do know quite a few bikers who say they dont wear a helmet because theyd rathar die than to be a cripple.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the displeasure of testing my shoei the hard way last month. Had I not had it on I wouldn't have a face on my right side right now. Not to mention my brains would have been mush. That was at 25 mph. Sooo thank you but I'll wear mine.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ive never heard of helmets causing deaths. I do know quite a few bikers who say they dont wear a helmet because theyd rathar die than to be a cripple.
Yeah & it's gotta be ironic when those bikers become cripple BECAUSE they weren't wearing a helmet. In an accident that they would have walked away from if they were wearing a helmet..

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I do remember a post from someone years ago, I don't think it was here though, that claimed he survived a crash but only because he wasn't wearing a helmet. But I'll be darned if I can remember the details. I do remember it was weird. Just wish I could remember what it was. The guy was proud of it though. Proved to everyone it can happen. That one in a million chance thing.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts