Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends! :71baldboy:

I'll be getting a bike in few weeks. Prior to which i want to finalize on a helmet.

Please suggest some affordable to mid range helmets. I don't want to go for too expensive/fancy ones but at the same time not too cheap in terms of material which aren't safe and don't server the purpose :)

If you folks can suggest me some then i will visit the nearest cyclegear and try on some for a good fit, once i like something then i will be getting it from ebay/amazon. Is it a good idea to online shop? especially a helmet?

thank you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops! seems like i posted in the wrong section. Admin can you please move this thread to First Bike / New Rider section

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
While can get some good deals on the Net on Helmets unless very familiar with the Brand Fitting may be a problem if a Full face if a bit too large might get by with it .. But I have found some that size Medium fits well and others need an XL .. Usually a Large is Correct for me but not always and just stated ..

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
ZR seems to be a good brand. I've not had any problems with mine.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Bell Helmets have been a tried and true brand for many years, and they seem to have a fairly extensive line up of products.

I rode with a full-face helmet for years, (JVC?) and in the last 5 or so, I've been using a half-shell.

The thing about Bell, is that their helmets are at the very least DOT compliant, but also they go the extra mile with many of their helmets, and get the SNEL rating as well, a plus in terms of competency.

Bell's prices are reasonable, as well. I think my half-shell cost me a hundred and thirty or so ("Pit Boss" with drop down visor).

-Soupy

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'd agree manufacturers can vary in fitment. I have two helmets - one large and extra large, but both fit well.

I live not too far from a big internet retailer where you can try on anything at no charge. They're usually priced the same as eBay/Amazon unless there's some crazy deal. The only difference being I have to pay sales tax. Being able to try it on without having pay to return it, seems worth the extra 7%.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I wonder if they should require folks to wear a head sock when they try on a new helmet for size? They make you wear socks when you are trying on SHOES!!

I mean.....what if the guy or gal who tried that helmet on before you, had Lice or something!?

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
I wonder if they should require folks to wear a head sock when they try on a new helmet for size? They make you wear socks when you are trying on SHOES!!

I mean.....what if the guy or gal who tried that helmet on before you, had Lice or something!?

-Soupy
You've got me Scratching My Head on that one .. :71baldboy:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Unless you are lucky, helmets have to be tried on to fit. I have tried several identical helmets to find one that actually fits.

I have 4 everything from a medium to a x-large.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Yep, there is no way I'll buy from the interweb for that very reason.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
If you can't find a dealer that has a large selection you can try on, use www.revzilla.com

Use the size charts to get you as close as you can fitment wise. They offer free return shipping if it doesn't fit right. You get a second chance to size up or down.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Why would you take up someone's time trying on a low dollar helmet only to buy it from someone you can't talk to? Spend the extra couple bucks and support your local economy. If you are that concerned with a few bucks, go to garage sales and find something cheap.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I think too many get hung up on price. I think as far as safety goes, if it is DOT approved you are okay. So to me it's about fit, features and noise level after that. They will all protect your melon.:thumbsup:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Why would you take up someone's time trying on a low dollar helmet only to buy it from someone you can't talk to? Spend the extra couple bucks and support your local economy. If you are that concerned with a few bucks, go to garage sales and find something cheap.
I've actually found what looks like brand new helmets in pawn shops. Someone needed extra cash I guess and it was probably winter so they pawned it to never come back for whatever reason. High dollar brands too. Just wouldn't fit me.:(

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I wear a modular helmet, the front flips up so you have some of the benefits of both a full helmet and an open face helmet around town. I've used an HJC IS-Max, think it was in the $150 range. Good quality, Aussie and New Zealand Standards approved and DOT, at a reasonable price. Mind, a modular helmet will be a little heavier than a full face.

But when considering what is a good price for a helmet, just ask yourself what your head is worth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts