Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are helmet mfr's waiting for? Half the adventure riders I see nowadays have a Go-Pro stuck to the top (or side) of their helmet.

Why not add a mount, fair it in (for slightly better aerodynamics and/or crashworthiness).

BTW, here's a view of the original GoPro prototype.... :biggrin:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There is likely product liability involved. The first person who shows up at an emergency room with a camera lodged in their skull will have lawyers in line outside.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
It's an issue of design. One of the safety elements of a helmet is that is should be smooth so that there is nothing to catch if the wearer is sliding along the ground and therefore breaking the neck. The mount would have to be a break free design, thus be difficult to "fair-in"

Besides, in a few more years they will probably develop a camera the size if a tube of chap stick with HD capability (if there isn't one already)

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I'm kind of with wade on this one. The cameras are already small enough that they could be built in anywhere. They wouldn't have to be "faired in" on the top or sides. They could be slim-lined and mounted under the visor, or near the front air vent/chin guard. Or why not have a goggle manufacturer like SPY or 100% make goggles with built in video? You can already buy sunglasses with video.
In 20 years we'll probably each have our own Govt. issued drone recording our every move anyway.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Go Pro sells helmet mounts. Why would a helmet manufacturer charge more money for a helmet mount for another company's camera when the majority of the people don't use it anyway? I don't want to pay for extra stuff I will never use. If I want a camera, I'm mounting it to the bike, and they make a mount for that too.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I was thinking as an alternative to Go Pro. I personally don't like bike mounting as it usually increases the vibration and noise. I prefer mounting to an area that stays more dampened and can easily change view, like my head. But I find most camera mounts (including GP) to be weak and clumsy.
For every person who thinks it's a dumb idea there's another willing to buy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts