Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This kind of thread usually brings out the best in everyone. I have always worn a helmet for the most part, usually a 3/4 but some kind. There was a time when I might make a quick trip to the store w/o one but I haven't done that in a long time. I also don't allow anyone to climb on the back of my bike w/o a helmet. I Have lost several friends over the years, and have the wife of a close friend in the neighborhood that suffered a devastating brain injury about 5 years ago that has wrecked their lives - a helmet would have prevented all of the above. Then I also lost a friend in a bike crash that did have a helmet on it didn't save him. Clearly, wearing a helmet is not going to save or prevent serious injury to every motorcycle accident victim, but it will save some of them and prevent many serious injuries. Here in NM, you don't have to wear a helmet if you are at-least 18 and I agree with this. I strongly believe in helmet use on a motorcycle and will recommend helmet use to any motorcyclist seeking advice. With that said, I also strongly believe that it is a personal choice that each of us adult motorcycle drivers should make ourselves without the interference of legislation or harassment from do-gooders. What is the helmet law in your area and What's your take on this ?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
You can replace a scratched or broken helmet.

Not so much a helmet.

MD is a must wear state. Helmet is not a cure all but helps in a lot of cases.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
You can replace a scratched or broken helmet.

Not so much a helmet.

MD is a must wear state. Helmet is not a cure all but helps in a lot of cases.

Huh??? You can or can't replace a helmet? ;)

It's up to the individual in this state as it should be.
I grew up riding trails and MX where you'd be an idiot not to wear.
Guess what the pavement is significantly harder. Plus I've ridden a couple of times w/o just to see if I felt freer, I didn't, I've worn one so long, it just felt strange.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Helmet required below 18 but your choice after "if" you have medical coverage. Most ignore the medical part or just aren't aware of it. My choice is to wear and I'm here because of that choice. But to me it should be your choice. I did recently go to a half helmet. I just need to make sure I don't crash now. It is much nicer in our Texas heat.:)

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
Pennsylvania is no helmet required for over 21 if you've either had your license for 2 years or longer or took the MSF course.

I agree with the policy, helmet use is a personal decision. My decision is to always wear one, at least a 1/2 helmet, but 90% of the time it's a full face. Heck I wear a lid riding my bicycle too!

I'm also an ATGATT guy, I didn't realize how much the gear meant to my personal sense of safety until I had my jacket stolen and had to ride home 60 miles in a golf shirt. I felt naked, vulnerable, and rode very timidly all the way home, and bought a new jacket right away. In my opinion it just doesn't make sense not to stack the odds of safety in my favor..but then again, that's a personal decision, I'd never want to force it on others though I will suggest it strongly to anyone who asks me.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
It's a personal choice. But why would you not wear one going to the store? Accidents occur everywhere, even on short trips.

It's mandatory in Nebraska, and if it wasn't, I would still wear a bucket. The reason is, if I get hit in a parking lot, I don't want to end up sitting in an electric chair having to watch my wife feed me until she finally gets tired of it.

My face isn't anything worth looking at, but at least it's still the way it was meant to be. I like my nose and chin, wouldn't know what to do without them.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
It's mandatory in Nebraska, and if it wasn't, I would still wear a bucket.
This is where I'm at now, but I still wish we had a choice.

My first riding experiences were farm related, checking livestock in pastures, checking irrigation runs, running to and from various fields and a helmet would have just been a huge pain in the backside. Fortunately that was before the helmet law.

I'd wear most of the time now anyway, but would like the option not to if I'm just going to be putting down back roads for a leisurely ride.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Here in IL we do not have mandatory helmet laws for adults (I really don't remember what the rule is for kids, but I would never take a kid on my bike without a helmet and more).

I wear a 3/4 helmet most of the spring and summer, then switch to a full or modular helmet when it starts getting cold. But I also sometimes go for a short ride without a helmet. I know I am increasing my risk factor, but I'm a grown-up and understand that I am responsible for my own actions. I live about 3/4 mile from the gas station I normally use, so sometimes if I came directly home after a ride and did not fill up, I'll hop on my bike with no helmet, no gloves, no boots, not jacket and ride it over to fill up with gas. Or if I am running to the grocery store about 1/2 mile from home I might do the same. It just doesn't seem worth it to go through the process of putting on all the gear just for a quick ride.

And every once in awhile, on that perfect warm and blue sky day, I might just for an extended ride with no protective gear, including no helmet just for the great feeling of the wind in my face and hair.

G

·
Vito pretty much summed up how it is for me. If I have a passenger though, they have to wear a helmet at all times.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Even though helmets are mandatory here in Maryland I would still wear it. Over thirty years ago that law was repealed and as a young man I took advantage of the change, no horror stories but it was stupid(my opinion). Only after a couple years the law was reinstated because of a dramatic increase in head injuries for motorcyclists. I agree it should be a choice, but I would always wear one now.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I'm a SGSTT guy. Some of The Gear, Some of The Time. As opposed to the ATGATT guys, All The Gear All The Time.

I wear a full face helmet, armored jacket, boots, and gloves most of the time. But around town or short rides I'l sometimesl throw on some goggles and hit the streets in a T-shirt, jeans, and shoes.. I'm aware it's not safe, but I have that choice. On any kind of serious ride I wear the gear. My wife is closer to an ATGATT rider than I am. She wears at least a helmet all the time. And a jacket, boots, gloves, etc on longer rides.

Besides the safety, the next biggest reason we wear helmets is for the communicators, so we can chat while on the ride.

·
Left. No, the other left.
221 Posts
New York is a mandatory helmet state. I ride in full gear (armor, kevlar, hi-viz jacket), but that's more because of the wife than the law.

Occasionally I look at the tshirt/jeans/half helmet guys with a little envy, but I'm with the gear I've picked.

Wouldn't preach ATGATT to anyone else though.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
If I'm going to expect my passenger to gear up, I don't wish to be hypocritical and do otherwise.

I know how hard that is, to throw on even a LIGHT jacket and helmet and gloves, on a very hot day (like it's been around here lately). I can completely sympathize. It's not about "looking cool" however.

I like the Signature in here that says something like: "Dress for the crash; not for the ride." (Paraphrased).

-Soupy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations guys, the posts have been very civil considering the topic. IAWAHB, I always wear a helmet and boots, IUWATT. Anybody remember Gary Busey's head trauma when he fell off his Harley some years back ? Losing all your skin in a road peel can kill you too.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
"........... IAWAHB.............IUWATT............."

What?????

-Soupy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congratulations guys, the posts have been very civil considering the topic. IAWAHB, I always wear a helmet and boots, IUWATT. Anybody remember Gary Busey's head trauma when he fell off his Harley some years back ? Losing all your skin in a road peel can kill you too.
Never heard that about Busey, that's interesting.

Wisconsin is optional for wearing a helmet. Not sure if there's a lower age group that has to wear one or not though. It's weird how when I'm not riding I see all the bikers not wearing a helmet, and when I'm out riding (with a helmet) everybody's got their helmet on. I'm sure though it's probably 50/50 on rider wearing/not wearing a helmet.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

When I look at the scratches in a couple of my helmets, I realize they would have been in my head had I not been wearing them. As to gear, even with full gear (that was cut off by the EMTs), when I had my 70 mph crash I had broken bones, ribs, and collapsed lung and other things. I sure didn't need to include a fractured skull. So I always wear it all.

But as I used to explain to my students, I know it's hot with a helmet when the temps are above 90°, but it's better to just wear a half helmet than nothing at all.

And no one rides on back unless they have at least a helmet.

--

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Never heard that about Busey, that's interesting.

Wisconsin is optional for wearing a helmet. Not sure if there's a lower age group that has to wear one or not though. It's weird how when I'm not riding I see all the bikers not wearing a helmet, and when I'm out riding (with a helmet) everybody's got their helmet on. I'm sure though it's probably 50/50 on rider wearing/not wearing a helmet.
Probably 20+ years back. Busey was actively working against helmet legislation in California when he took a spill and his head slammed into a curb. I saw him in an interview some time after his accident and he was having to re-learn how to make sentences and some other motion skills we all take for granted. He barely escaped with his life. Carla and Gary, neighbors of mine, out riding their Big Dogs 5 years ago. Carla had a low speed fall in a sand patch on the road as she was turning into a driveway. Severe brain trauma. Today Carla has the mind of a 10 year old. Use your imagination for how their lives have changed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mandatory here in NC. I don't think it should be required though. Then the idiots who choose to ride all crazy like can more easily remove themselves from the gene pool.

I wear full face on my motorcycle and bicycles. I'll go with just the top lid if I'm riding a cross country MTB trail, but if I plan to exceed 20 mph or do technical stuff, it's full face.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts