Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just got my Harley today and am happy to join the club! I'm wondering if anyone has any helmet suggestions for me? Style, color, durability etc. My bike is mostly white and black. I heard that skullskidder.com offers really good helmets but I'd like to look at a few more places. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
HI there! Congratulations on your new ride.

I'd go with fit first; white and black are neutrals and go with pretty much everything. In reality, there are tons of helmets with some combination of black, white, and silver or combinations therof.

Helmet sizes vary ALOT by brand, I really really suggest going to a local cycle shop or <gulp> dealer and trying on different brands. They should fit snugly but not have HOT spots.. if possible wear around the store for a few minutes. Some brands are made for a round head (don't laugh) some for more of an egg shape, and a Medium in one brand might be a Small in another. Look for a DOT sticker that shows it's passed some minimum safety tests too.

You don't want it uncomfortably tight, but they DO loosen up and break in, so don't go too big. Again, a competent sales person should be able to help you choose a helmet that fits.

Good luck and have fun! Once you know your size, you can always buy online for your 2nd helmet.

R

·
0 Posts
Hi Teameveryone, and welcome!

I would suggest that you go to your local bike shop and try helmets on. They vary so much from manufacturer-to-manufacturer in terms of sizing, fit, etc. Then do an on-line search, because you can most likely order one much cheaper on line than you can buy from a bike shop.

Good luck! Take care and ride safe!

Rebel

·
Registered
249 Posts
http://www.scorpionusa.com/support/fitment.html

Statistics say that the full face helmets are better for protection. Me? I wear a 3/4 helmet from Scorpion. You will find all the information you need to properly fit your helmet at the supplied link. Couple of brands with cool graphics these days are Sparx, Shark, and of course the favorites, Icon and Joe Rocket. You should be looking for helmets that have at LEAST a DOT rating, Snell rating is better.

loudest143

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with bucfanmike. I also wear glasses, and wish that full face helmets were more accomodating. The flip up option sure makes life easier on yer specs.

loudest143
*6 eyes. I wear bifocals. I'm like some sort of bug.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey, I just got my Harley today and am happy to join the club! I'm wondering if anyone has any helmet suggestions for me? Style, color, durability etc. My bike is mostly white and black. I heard that skullskidder.com offers really good helmets but I'd like to look at a few more places. Thanks!
Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and go for function not style. I cringe every time I see someone is what I call the "fashion" helmets normally on cruisers. The manufacturers even perpetuate this look.

Then I think of someone I know who is still years later having facial bone reconstruction after smacking his face on the ground wearing one of those useless helmets.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some brands are made for a round head (don't laugh) some for more of an egg shape, and a Medium in one brand might be a Small in another.
And Z1R seems to have been designed for Stewie from Family Guy. :D I was all geared up to buy one until I tried it on and realized I'd need to reshape my skull to make it fit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Buy the best helmet you can afford. Arai ,Shoei.Nolan are my top picks.
If you're going to ride alot these 3 imho go to the top everytime. Thier vents actually work and still fit after using them alot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bought a helmet online. Great price but it was an expensive education. Turns out I have a big (and I think, round) head, so the size guidelines were worthless. Go to a shop and try something on first. If the price is reasonable, give them your business.

Btw, when I went to a shop, I discovered that very few brands of shorty helmets fit my round head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts