Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I jumped my Kawasaki over a hump in the road and a cop saw me. After the officer pulled me over we chatted a while about how fast I thought I was going why I did it and if he ever caught me doing it again... he asked me to take off my helmet. I remembered a fellow biker telling me that- if I got pulled over in WA the law says the biker is not required to remove his/her helmet, so I said I would rather not and the officer was ok with it and that was that- he let me go with a warning. the question being- would I be required in Washington to take off my helmet if an officer got serious about telling me to take the helmet off??

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'm not sure why there would be a law saying you don't have to take the helmet off. Refusing to do so might be a good way to change a warning into a ticket.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm not a po po fan, but they do deserve to see who they are standing in front of. You can tell alot about a person by their facial expressions. Not saying you are dangerous person, but these cops come across them all. And if the police officer is sensing danger by a persons facial expressions and it lets the officer go home and be with his family, so be it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I'm under the assumption that a PO is trained to evaluate the condition of the driver (car, motorcycle, truck, etc). Part of that evaluation would be seeing his eyes.

If your eyes were covered over by a tinted shield, or in any way obstructed from the PO's view, it would make sense that he would make that request.

As a rider, and a tax payer, I'm torn at times, on issues of "rights."

As a rider, I want to be able to have my freedoms. As a taxpayer, I want my PO's that I pay for, to do their jobs and keep irresponsible people off my roads where my kids drive, walk, ride bikes, etc..

It's a "catch 22" really.........you want public safety, and yet you want to be able to avoid being stopped or hassled.

As for the helmet laws themselves, I'm an advocate for them.

Which reminds me.........the other day I saw a guy wearing a WWII "Nazi" style helmet, with exaggerated "Darth Vader" sides. It got me wondering......
if the guy went down (God forbid), and in the process of going down, he hit that exaggerated side piece, I'd think it would twist his head unnaturally, and snap his neck?! Reminded me to choose a reasonable helmet, with good and logical construction.

-Soupy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is a rider safety concern, what if a car veers off the road and hits the bike or whatever else unsafe sort of thing could happen to a parked bike.
Of course I don't wear a helmet crossing a crosswalk so I guess it really shouldn't be an issue.
I was just curious.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
If you are wearing a full-face helmet, how does the cop identify that the face behind the lid is the same face on the license?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
I would have no problem removing the Helmet, although got a warning from a State Leo that never did ask, but was wearing a Half helmet and Sunglasses ..

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I never had a problem not wearing one either. Until I did have a crash and saw what the helmet I was wearing at the time looked like after. I'll still go without but I'm not nearly as comfortable anymore. So it's short slower distances now if without. And I'm looking at a half helmet for that now. Amazing seeing what a nearly spit in two helmet can do to your outlook.:p

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the guy that told said that was into Harleys, I only met him once. I think he was into some sort of a club. he must have been using a half helmet.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The way I see it is half helmets are fine if you are able to land on top of your head. :D

I've seen some pretty hard head hits at speeds of less than 10 mph. Ones that would have probably been serious injuries if not for the helmet.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
It all makes you wonder why motor cops generally wear a half helmet if 3/4 and full are so much better don't it. Ya know lead by example kind of thing.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It all makes you wonder why motor cops generally wear a half helmet if 3/4 and full are so much better don't it. Ya know lead by example kind of thing.
The Illinois motor patrol uses 3/4 helmets. There has been some speculation as to why full face isn't used. I think it is because it presents a more human face to the public so they don't look like Robocop.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
....................... I think he was into some sort of a club.................

MIGHT be worth it to know what kind of "Club" he belongs to, (for a variety of reasons)!!

As for half-halmets being worn by PO's, .........I often wondered "why" (I'm sure it likely may have something to do with "field of vision" or something like that) PO's DIDN'T wear full-face helmets, when clearly you get the optimum protection from the full-face style.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Put on a full face helmet and have a few of your friends stand around you with a couple of them concealing weapons about themselves. Have them act angry and start yelling, and have them keep moving around as you talk with them and try to figure out what's going on. Next, with those same friends, start scuffling and wrestling around a little bit.

You're likely going to feel very restricted as to what you can see, hear, and sense.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Eye is correct: PO's wear half-helmets for tactical reasons -- they are too hindered by anything covering more of their heads.

With regard to the OP's comments. I would suggest looking at the situation from the PO's perspective... You pull someone over for a violation. You know that traffic stops result in a huge number of felony arrests for all PO's, all over the USA... How would you feel if a suspect refused to remove their helmet? What would your tactical senses tell you? What would be going through your mind?

Please remember that PO's are working, doing a job, trying to protect the general public, and trying to maintain order. Try to appreciate the situation from his perspective. Just sayin'... Cheers!
:coffee:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts