Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live here in Indiana and have been riding for many years here and have had my license for MC for many as well. That being said here in Indiana we only have to wear a brain bucket when we are under the age of 18 or only have a learners permit. Now when I cross state lines do I have to carry a helmet with me for the states that impose helmet laws?

Reason I am asking is we have a trip planned for the Tail of the Dragon in July when it will be hotter than a blast furnance, and I see where they have helmet laws.

I typically only wear a helmet when it freaking cold out but anything above 60 degrees I enjoy the wind.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If your going from Indiana to Tennessee via Ohio/Kentucky at least you only have to wear it in Tennessee.

My soon-to-be father in law went down to Cumberland Falls this past weekend and they wanted to go to TN but didn't have their helmets. He said you can get away with just a novelty helmet there though.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I live here in Indiana and have been riding for many years here and have had my license for MC for many as well. That being said here in Indiana we only have to wear a brain bucket when we are under the age of 18 or only have a learners permit. Now when I cross state lines do I have to carry a helmet with me for the states that impose helmet laws?

Reason I am asking is we have a trip planned for the Tail of the Dragon in July when it will be hotter than a blast furnance, and I see where they have helmet laws.

I typically only wear a helmet when it freaking cold out but anything above 60 degrees I enjoy the wind.
If you hit West Virginia you better have the helmet ON. They will either turn you back to the state you came from (aka back to Ohio if caught on I-77) or they will fine you and possibly require you get one before you ride again.

Sure hope the wind in your hair works better than it did for our library aid's son. He got his "creased" quite heavily along with some bad facial damage and near blinding eye injury when he had his front tire slip off the berm of the road as he tried to avoid a rider who moved unexpectedly into his path, while cruising with a group of friends. The front wheel of his Harley washed out and he went flying along with the bike. The torso and limb injuries are healing fine... fortunately for him, most of the head injuries are coming around, but there will be residual damage. All for that "feel of the wind" everyone speaks of.

But hey, I'm sure you've heard all this before and know it won't happen to you.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you hit West Virginia you better have the helmet ON. They will either turn you back to the state you came from (aka back to Ohio if caught on I-77) or they will fine you and possibly require you get one before you ride again.
I knew WVA did, I was considering a trip that took me through there.. but I didn't know they'd just send you back to the state you came from. lol.

·
10,763 Posts
If you check the AMA website they havbe a link for Motorcycle specific laws state by state. Very helpful when traveling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know alot of people don't wanna here this but if you just wear your helmet all the time you don't have to worry about it. Sorry I ride in full gear when ever I ride. I can't take any chances with a family on the way.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know alot of people don't wanna here this but if you just wear your helmet all the time you don't have to worry about it. Sorry I ride in full gear when ever I ride. I can't take any chances with a family on the way.

No need to start the debate, if you live in a state where it is not required and you don't want to then don't. I prefer to wear a helmet too, but in Ohio it's my choice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Texas only requires under 18 to wear a lid. I could be going .5 of a mile to the store and I wear my helmet.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
No need to start the debate, if you live in a state where it is not required and you don't want to then don't. I prefer to wear a helmet too, but in Ohio it's my choice.
It's your choice to roll in dog droppings too, but I don't think most of us would. That's kind of the point.

What I get a kick out of are those who are enjoying the wind in their face with some leather flight helmet at about 50 degrees. Talk about a sort of modified "bitter beer" face...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry if I offened anyone by my choice not to wear a helmet all the time - didn't realize that by choosing not to wear one would offend people I have never met - even though in our state we have the freedom to choose weather or not to wear a helmet.

Sorry guys. I just thought that since Indiana didnt make me wear one and since I'm licensed and plated in indiana that I wouldn't have to cart a brain bucket with me.

But I guess I'll buy a skid lid for me and the ole lady before we take off.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
It's not really offensive to me. It's just that I, along with others, wish you would. Even though we don't actually know you, we do care enough to try to influence you with various appeals. It's about exercising freedom in a safer direction. Just because we have a choice doesn't mean the choice has to be counter to whatever might have been law. I know some comments are a bit insulting and for mine I apologize, but I'd hate to see a similar thing happen as did to the librarian's son much less a fatality.

Regardless, take the helmets. I'm serious about WV. There were races at Parkersburg and we learned that the WV state police were sitting just across the border on I-77, turning riders back to Ohio if they didn't have helmets to wear. So take a couple so you don't have your vacation hosed up. I'd go so far as to say get at least the real DOT half shells as a minimum. Never know if some cop might seriously check it. Besides I doubt the DOT version will be less comfortable than some goofy looking beanie, even if you put stickers all over the beanie.

Just keep it on two wheels and stay safe.

Edit:
One last comment, I'm not sure what I would do if I had a rider come up to go on a ride with me, sans helmet. I'm a sporting rider and will push it a bit. Last thing I want to do is have someone fall and smack their head. I've had a few friends and myself fall off on dual sport rides as well as a few on the road. I don't recall if any hit their heads, but with a helmet on it was entirely possible. A light tap with them results in getting back up, without results in a concussion or worse. I tell others if they plan to ride with me, they need the lid - preferably full face. From there if they want to ride in shorts and a tee that's fine with me. Broken bones and skin scraped off heals a lot easier than a mashed mellon or boogered up eyes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i ride with a group here locally and it's pretty much a strong showing of cruisers - good mix of both US and Metric - none of us wear helmets. But then again we don't push it - our typical rides are 45mph and under - we just view the countryside and visit places of interest.

Now one of the guys is my nephew who 4 years ago while on a sport bike slammed into the back of a car going over 200 mph (law enforcement estimated) and the car was going 50 (same direction) - yes he was in coma for week with head injuries - but as we say he's too stupid to die - lol - he rides now a cruiser and skips the speed - both he and his ole lady ride without helmets.

now we have some guys that ride with us that use the helmets all the time - no one gives anyone on either side grief about it. I prefer to ride with out - yes I have gone down before and at that time I was wearing a bucket - had I not I would have torn the entire side of my head out as I seen the rock coming at me on the ground and I turned my face and split the side of the helmet vs the visor (full face) but still I prefer to ride without.

But yep it will be DOT skid lid - don't want to give them a reason to go snooping for revenue to fill the local coffers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are going to ride the Tail of the Dragon, I would wear a helmet. Not because of your riding skills, but because of other people who ride there. Having grown up in that area, I have seen tons of people involved in accidents due to OTHER people's stupidity (e.g. cars on the wrong side of road, motorcycles entering a turn too fast and read-ending a fellow biker, antifreeze dropping from a RV and seeing about 15 bikes lay down before someone stops traffic, etc.)

·
Rat Bike Extraordinaire
929 Posts
What I get a kick out of are those who are enjoying the wind in their face with some leather flight helmet at about 50 degrees. Talk about a sort of modified "bitter beer" face...
ha! you dont know the half of it man, it can get frigid. A face mask will do wonders in the sub zero though :)

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
i ride with a group here locally and it's pretty much a strong showing of cruisers - good mix of both US and Metric - none of us wear helmets. But then again we don't push it - our typical rides are 45mph and under - we just view the countryside and visit places of interest.
Yeah, that's what the librarian's son was doing... cruising along (not any sort of slam, but just to make the cruising point - he rides a Harley) with his usual group of riders. But something happened, a rider swerved to the right forcing him to move to the right and he dropped the front wheel off the pavement at the berm and crashed pretty hard. I'm thinking the bike hit some guardrail. You see a lot of the good back roads here have about 6" berms of pavement with an immediate drop off that edge in soft dirt, gravel to a ditch or hill. Not much room for error.

The guy's still dealing with the head trauma last I knew. He did gain back some of the sight he lost in one eye, but he was only cruising along about 45, not pushing it when it happened. I'm thinking his choice might be different now that he knows what can happen. I'm not sure he will get the chance to make the choice last I knew.

Who knows, maybe one rider was viewing the countryside and not quite paying attention to what was going on. Maybe looking for a place of interest to visit. A little surprise when the one in front slows and they didn't notice immediately, a quick swerve to the side (needed or not) and another rider taken out while just cruising along about 45. But it happens as often at those speeds as it does at high speeds. It's those accidents that are listed as "ran off the road".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts