Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be useful to get some opinions on here, rather than keep sorting through all the asked questions on revzilla and amazon.

Cliffs notes: i want an inexpensive helmet intercom that will give GPS directions while group chatting with 4+ units.

Long version:
I am looking to get a set of intercom/bluetooth units for riding. I plan on going on a trip or 2 later this year with about 4 people total, my son and my dad are 2 of them. I want a headset that will work as a open intercom with all of us (at least 4, if not 6-8) and will give me GPS directions from my phone without having to switch modes or get kicked from the group intercom. I did not think that this was that hard to accomplish, but it seems to be that most require you to switch modes to use the GPS. Now i am using my phone as the GPS, if that makes a difference. I just didn't think that it would be so difficult to find something that would overlay GPS instructions over the intercom. Does anyone have any suggestions that are not $400+ for 2 headsets? I am willing to pay $200 for a pair or so, and am considering getting a used set and just putting new batteries in them, but would prefer new stuff if possible.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
I may not understand your question. Don't you need to have something compatible with what they are using? Just getting the same brand they are using should get you the headset you need. I think. Versus a CB type headset. But I might not totally understand your problem. To get GPS instructions I think you just need to link to your GPS in the correct order. Stacking is what I'd call it. But yes, it is confusing. That one reason I like a the old CB but I can't talk to others that want the new technology. But I get my GPS stuff just fine. I do think you can get there by just getting the same brand as the people you want to talk to and then add your phone in the proper order for bluetoothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To elaborate a bit more. None of us have a headset yet. I am trying to find one that we can all get (2 pairs ideally).

I want it to have good sound, noise cancellation, and to hear GPS directions without switching modes. Just want any recommendations that may be out there.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Then I think you need to decide who, if anyone else, you might want to communicate with. Harley's and Goldwings and some Victories use CB's as their communication device. If you ever want to talk to them you will need a CB and a hardwired headset. Each person or bike would need this. If you never do, and just want to talk to each other, then a Sena type unit that comes with it's headset will get you there as in the Sena link. The two different ways to communicate cannot current talk to each other and likely never will. It's like video VHS and Betamax. Betamax was so much more superior but VHS won out my sheer volume. And now neither are really being used in favor of CD's and now DVD's. Point I'm making is you got to put you shovel in the ground and dig your hole. What ever you do will likely not last long. Although I'm sticking with CB because I have to communicate with the numerous Harley and Goldwings that are out there. Don't know if that helps or makes it even more confusing or not. And I maybe all wet. Hopefully if I am, someone will step in and correct things. This Bluetooth stuff has just totally screwed things up but it is getting better. I'm just not convinced it will last. Not as it is today anyway. Like VHS and DVD's.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I made a small review of the Sena system here:

https://www.motorcycleforum.com/101-general-motorcycle-discussion/218738-communications.html

It's the last post in the thread right now. I added another post to that thread, too. More to the review.

Summary: Overall we love having coms, but FortNine seems to think the Cardo systems are way better. He is usually pretty good about recommendations.

I was not aware that Harley riders often use CB. I do not have that on my bike. But I mostly just talk to my Mom or spouse or listen to books on tape.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the sena 20 and my wife has the sena 10 unit. I also have the sena prism camera. These integrate with my cell via bluetooth for navigation and are compatible with most other brands for communication, range is about a mile which is handy when hitting or missing traffic signals. great units and the battery on the headsets last a long time - camera about 4 hours

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
BWB75 said:
But I mostly just talk to my Mom or spouse or listen to books on tape.
I need to talk to you about how you listen to audio books or what apps you use to accomplish it. If I remember I'll PM you. Don't want to highjack this thread. Just hope I remember.:grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts