Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing a while ago that helmets lose their integrity over time, something like the protective shock absorbent foam starts to deteriorate eventually and so the helmet loses it's effectiveness...makes sense to me, just wondering how often one needs to replace a helmet? I've had my current helmet for about 3 years, what's the "expiration date"?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I replaced mine at five years, mainly because I thought the inner lining had reached a point where I'd like a new helmet. However, it's in reasonable condition (I used to take the lining out and wash it about once a year) and I could use it again if I wanted too. But I think 5 years is enough, so it's a spare for emergency/one off uses.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a helmet longevity test that was not done, or sponsored, by a helmet maker? I wonder if there are any truly objective tests out there.

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
The helmet I was wearing nearly 3 years ago when I had a major oops was 10 years old. I think that's twice what they recommend but that sucker saved my melon. Wish I had a helmet for my leg and ankle that was that old.:D

I was thinking about getting a new one but truly feel it would have been fine for another 5 years. Now it was only exposed to the sun when riding. Any other time it was in a saddle bag, tote box or some kind over cover. That might make a difference. People do leave them on seats or hanging on handlebars so that is more sun exposure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
#1 piece of protective gear should be in top condition. There are other advantages of a new helmet, nice clean lens with no scratches, firm padding, "new" smell...
I don't buy really expensive helmets. They should be replaced every 5 years. If I were to buy a very expensive helmet I would prob not replace it when I should.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I know it is recommended every five years, but like Eye said, has there been any studies done that weren't done by helmet manufacturers.
I also think it would be based on how much one rides, my helmet gets replaced about every three years, my wife replaced hers after about six or seven years but doesn't ride with me much anymore.
I have heard if you have taken a spill and the helmet has hit the ground it should be replaced. Again not sure where that came from.

·
Very Famous Person
9,807 Posts
The helmet I was wearing nearly 3 years ago when I had a major oops was 10 years old. I think that's twice what they recommend but that sucker saved my melon. Wish I had a helmet for my leg and ankle that was that old. ...:D

--

Hey, Buddy, I have an old one I can send you to use for your leg and ankle. I don't think it will cover both at the same time, however. :wink:

--

·
American Legion Rider
20,002 Posts
Thanks Ron but it's too late. Damage is done. But I'll keep you in mind the next time I plan on crashing.:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard if you have taken a spill and the helmet has hit the ground it should be replaced. Again not sure where that came from.
Years ago when getting my license my instructor explained that to me. He said that helmets are a one use item, and that even dropping it from a distance of greater than 3' could compromise it and render it useless. After starting this thread I decided to do some research on that, and I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDe3habbuww

As well a few other written sources saying pretty much the same thing. They've all confirm that if you take an impact with your head inside the helmet the helmet is basically done, but if you just drop the helmet by itself it's probably fine...so my instructor my have been wrong about that part but definitely if take a spill and your helmet takes a hit according to all the sources I looked at you need to replace it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts