Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys deal with helmet fogging in colder temps?.

This morning when I left my house to work, the temp was around 47 F or so. My gear and gloves kept me warm the whole time until I arrived to work. The only complaint is that my helmet kept fogging up even at normal riding speed of 50 mph on the highway. Granted, when I sit at red lights my helmet tends to fog up, but that's a simple fix. All I have to do is open my shield until the light turns green, problem solved.
Last week we had temps here in SoCal of around 80 F, so that was not a big deal, except for the stated above, sitting at intersections at a red light.

·
Zip
2,523 Posts
There are anti-fogging treatments that you spray onto the inside of the shield. I haven't used any but some people report good success.

My helmet is compatible with a technology called Pinlock, which is a second shield layer that goes inside your shield and acts like a double-pane window. If your face shield has small plastic pins on the inside, one at each end (left and right) then you can buy the Pinlock layer and install it. Mine works great (glad I had it this morning for my ride to work).

The downside to Pinlock is that every additional layer of glass or plastic in front of your eyes reduces the amount of light going through, and so it's not recommended for night riding. This was brought up on another thread here, about night riding being scary.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Leave the window open a bit, just like you do at the lights. 47 is a nice warm day. Wear a scarf of some sort to keep your face warm. It also helps a bit with the fogging. These days you can get a stretchy open ended sock for your neck, that can cover your ears air nose. Dollar Store has them. Purple on the bottom if you get a queer one. Start with it high up over your eyes, as they slip down when you put your helmet on. I tried the head and shoulders idea ( for the visor ) not much success. Tried drilling a couple of holes in the visor. No good. The helmet vents do not seem to make much difference. Fogging is much worse at 37 old colder.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
All I have to do is open my shield until the light turns green, problem solved.
And there's your answer while going down the road. Just open it enough to let a little air in. Yes, you'll get colder but unless you want the expense of a pinlock type helmet, there's your easy fix, open the shield slightly. Now some claim smearing your own spit on it works. I've never tested that since just opening it some works. And I've done that down to 15º like a fool.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Here's an anti-fog treatment that works, at least in moderately-cold temps. Go to Walmart and buy a small bottle of their knockoff "Head and Shoulders" dandruff shampoo. Using your fingers, coat the inside of your face shield with a light coating of the shampoo. Let it get almost-but-not-quite dry, then buff it off with a soft cloth. It really works amazingly well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts