Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Scenario:
Your riding with ear plugs, you start to pull up to a red light in a congested area (high traffic and noisy)... the car behind you is on the cell phone and does not see your brake light early enough, and has to hit them so hard they are coming to a screeching halt behind you. Boom!

the best defensive riding tools is Vision, awareness, and sound.

He has effectivly taken away or at the verry least limited his ability to "fully" know his suroundings.

I like to hear the engine as I ride, it soothes my soul... But mostly to make sure nothing funny is going on that may need attention to prevent any serious damage.
Not to point fingers or nothing, but ear plugs while riding "to me" just sounds stupid and dangerous.
I'd almost have to say you've never ridden with ear plugs. None of that is actually reality. Forget the screeching brakes, what if they didn't break at all. You don't wear a helmet and that's fine, it's your choice but I'm sure it has influence what you may think and probably have a similar view of helmets as far as sound is concerned. Anyway, a good set of ear plugs pretty much eliminates the sound of turbulent air while not hindering actual mechanical noise very much at all, but that's my opinion of course.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,447 Posts
looks like a childs helmet... too cartoony for my tastes(n)

·
Ace Tuner
3,328 Posts
You should ride with some form of hearing protection, wind noise alone for a 20 minute ride can cause permanent hearing loss.
I'm told this is proven fact. Problem is every type of ear plug I've tried bugs the heck out of me. I just can't ware them while on the bike.
I do ware foam plugs under my ear muffs when I shoot top velocity 357 magnum revolver loads. I can put up with them long enough for that.

S F

·
Zip
2,442 Posts
I tried two different kinds of foamies and found that they blocked too much desirable sound. I tried Ear Peace ear plugs and have stayed with them for almost two years now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do ware foam plugs under my ear muffs when I shoot top velocity 357 magnum revolver loads. I can put up with them long enough for that.

S F

Cool!

I've got a couple of those girlie guns myself. ;)

I prefer to shoot my .44 magnums though.

·
Ace Tuner
3,328 Posts
I prefer to shoot my .44 magnums though.
I do too but because of new tendon problems in my arms I had to sell out of the 44 mag shooting fun. That thing was a hoot to shoot.
I sold all of my 44 stuff. Revolver, holsters, dies, components, everything. Even the shell holder.
Oh and 380 ACP is the girl caliber. A REAL man caliber is the 500 S&W... Just so you know. . Lol

S F

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do too but because of new tendon problems in my arms I had to sell out of the 44 mag shooting fun. That thing was a hoot to shoot.
I sold all of my 44 stuff. Revolver, holsters, dies, components, everything. Even the shell holder.
Oh and 380 ACP is the girl caliber. A REAL man caliber is the 500 S&W... Just so you know. . Lol

S F
Dang bummer when Father Time and "mature" age ruins our favorite hobbies.

44 Magnum is great because it's a poor/everymans caliber.

Almost bought a used Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull a few years ago that I could have picked up for $600 (I still kick myself for letting that deal get away), but the cost of ammo kept me from buying it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm told this is proven fact. Problem is every type of ear plug I've tried bugs the heck out of me. I just can't ware them while on the bike.

S F
Definitely look into custom formed ear plugs. They are typically very comfortable as there isn't the constant pressure on your inner ear. Just remember with the custom ones, always give 'em a good lick to make sure they seal properly.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,437 Posts
My best friend bought a 44 magnum after that movie came out. We went shooting and I fired that cannon once. Once was enough.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hearing? I haven't heard of that term since I don't know when (thanks to listening to rock and roll, 20+ years of riding and racing MCs (2 seasons), and several years as a MC mech and ~ 15 as an auto mechanic). But hey, it's a good excuse for not hearing what my wife says (bless her heart).

But seriously, please protect both your hearing and eyes.

·
American Legion Rider
25,628 Posts
My best friend bought a 44 magnum after that movie came out. We went shooting and I fired that cannon once. Once was enough.
It's not a weapon I would like to shoot all day but it is a hoot to shoot. I can't imagine what those .500 calibers would be like though. I'd love to try one. Maybe just once would be enough like you Critter.

·
Ace Tuner
3,328 Posts
I hated to sell my 44 mag but I was able to console myself by buying my first stainless revolver. A Ruger Blackhawk, 357 / 9mm convertible with 4.5/8" barrel. I thought it would not be very accurate shooting nines but it is every bit as accurate as 357's with the right 9mm load. Funny, I wanted the 9mm cylinder just to have not thinking I'd ever really use it. It is under my pillow right now, loaded with nines. When I take it in the truck, it's loaded with nines most of the time.
The 500 S&W magnum would be fun but I don't need the injury so not happening.
I have shot a Desert Eagle 50 Caliber AE. It kicks a lot less than my last 44 mag. (Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5").

S F

·
Registered
119 Posts
You do what? WTF?

Please tell me Im not the only one who heard this??
I've ridden w/o earplugs or helmet for hours, but in a helmet (depending on the helmet) some sounds seem to bounce around and cause road deafness, so I often also wear earplugs to cut down on the noise; oddly, it helps me hear better by hearing "less," though the stereo becomes pretty useless...

A better way to go would be to buy a better helmet, but for as little as I use a full-face...

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I get a helmet, I intend to get two. A basic DOT aproved full helmet that I can attached a GoPro to the chin, and later down the road after I get used to riding, a smart helmet so I can listen to music, GPS, and have phone calls on. Probably only use that one for going to work or long distance.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts