Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Ya'll,

I currently use a Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet. It does the job, and I didn't want to spend a ton on my first helmet. Well I am now riding over 400 miles per week, and I am wanting to upgrade. My MX-9 seems to really fight the wind pretty hard, and is crazy loud above 40mph. With this said, I am looking for a step up for a mid-rangeish helmet. My biggest concern right now is getting something quieter. I wear ear plugs when I ride, but my current helmet is still crazy noisy. I am really liking the look of the Shoei RF-1400. Has anybody used it? Is it as quiet as they say it is? How was it on comfort? Thanks yall.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wear an RF1200 and for my melon it fits perfect. Almost no buffering at high speed and I've worn it all day on road trips up to 10 hrs with no problems and quiet, well that is opinion but I use ear buds and a neck warmer that I fit over my head and ears for sweat and the 1200 is one of the quieter helmets I've owned. Schuberth helmets have a good rep for being quiet, you might want to check them out and they're in the same ball park price wise. Not sure how they fit compared to the shoei which seems to fit well for people that have more of an oval head.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Howdy,
Hard to beat a good choice. The Shoei RF-1400 is a quality helmet, I'm certain you'll be happy with it. I use an MX-9 for dual sport and an RF-1200 for naked bikes. If I was riding 400 miles per week, I'd take the Shoei every ride. I don't have the 1400 yet because my 1200 is still in great shape.
I bought an RF-200 back in the 80's and have always had an RF series helmet. The RF has evolved over the years always getting better. For me they wear well. Good ventilation, good shield, good comfort. Yes, a little pricey but think of it as a 5 year investment. It's worth it.
Give ear plugs a shot, I swear I'm a better rider with them. Try 'em out and good luck on your purchase. (y)
Plant Automotive lighting Tree Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
127 Posts
Shoei's are top quality. I currently own an RF1200 (along with a Bell modular and a Fly Racing helmet).

Shoei is the most quiet and has the smallest shell - which IMO contributes to less buffeting.

Make sure you get the right size though. Most shops carry Shoei so you should be able to try before u buy.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wear an AGV Corsa R and I think it's well worth the price. Mine was $950 when I bought it two years ago, but I see it online now for a sale price of as low as $600. I'm not sure if that falls into your price range or not, but a good helmet is the best investment you can make. Not only are these helmets extremely save, but it also has - hands down - the best field of vision I've ever seen on a helmet. Very little of my vision is blocked, and I love the thickness of the shield. It's...3 mm? 5 mm? Whatever it is, it's super thick and has a very positive latching mechanism. I like to push a button to have my helmet's visor release, not just bend a little bit of plastic. It also has a good, mechanical release for the shield. I wear a dark shield in the day, but I'll bring a clear one with me on long trips, and again, I like a button that actuates a mechanism to release the shield, not bending some plastic. Also, I ride a naked bike. It has a windscreen but it's pretty small. This is a super stable helmet. There's no turbulence with this thing so it's not whipping your head around at speed. It is slightly noisy compared to my last helmet (an Arai Corsair V). I looked at the Corsair X and it did feel a bit more comfortable, but the AGV wins out in my books.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wear an AGV Corsa R and I think it's well worth the price. Mine was $950 when I bought it two years ago, but I see it online now for a sale price of as low as $600. I'm not sure if that falls into your price range or not, but a good helmet is the best investment you can make. Not only are these helmets extremely save, but it also has - hands down - the best field of vision I've ever seen on a helmet. Very little of my vision is blocked, and I love the thickness of the shield. It's...3 mm? 5 mm? Whatever it is, it's super thick and has a very positive latching mechanism. I like to push a button to have my helmet's visor release, not just bend a little bit of plastic. It also has a good, mechanical release for the shield. I wear a dark shield in the day, but I'll bring a clear one with me on long trips, and again, I like a button that actuates a mechanism to release the shield, not bending some plastic. Also, I ride a naked bike. It has a windscreen but it's pretty small. This is a super stable helmet. There's no turbulence with this thing so it's not whipping your head around at speed. It is slightly noisy compared to my last helmet (an Arai Corsair V). I looked at the Corsair X and it did feel a bit more comfortable, but the AGV wins out in my books.

I considered the AGV K6, as its in the same ball park as the RF-1400. There is only one major thing I don't like. The RF-1400 is Snell-2020, the K6 is not. As someone with future plans to hit the track a bit, getting the snell rating is very important to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I considered the AGV K6, as its in the same ball park as the RF-1400. There is only one major thing I don't like. The RF-1400 is Snell-2020, the K6 is not. As someone with future plans to hit the track a bit, getting the snell rating is very important to me.
I used to only buy SNELL rated helmets - but now I am good with ECE2205 rated helmets (IIRC Europe's highest standard). Mainly because I really like helmets that have a built in drop down sun visor - and that precludes them from getting SNELL certification. IMO, either rating is a "cut above" basic helmets with DOT ratings only, and denotes a higher quality helmet.

But if your track requires a SNELL certified helmet, you are kind of stuck there.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think the biggest difference in wind noise comes from body position. I notice some people would say a particular helmet is really loud and others would say they must be crazy because the particular helmet is very quiet for them. So with this in mind, I noticed there was almost no noise on my helmet when I ride a supersport but all sorts of noise when I ride an upright naked bike. The angle the helmet is at seems to make the biggest difference. So you might be chasing an unobtainable result if that is the case. All helmets may be pretty noisy in your particular situation.

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Turns out I need a "long oval fit" shaped helmet. (Same for western hats). The last time (long time ago) that I shopped Shoei helmets they offered round or oval fit. Be sure you get what works for you no matter what brand.
I don't spend a bunch on helmets these days but I do go for a Snell approved full face every time. The last $600 helmet I had only lasted six months till it SLAMED the pavement. It saved me but I believe a $200 ~ $300 helmet would have worked as well. I think I paid $400 for what I wear now but it is passed due for replacement due to age. I see the latest HJC carbon is ECE approved but their less expensive is Snell... Hum

S F

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Hahaha......what the hell is wrong with ear plugs.....
Scenario:
Your riding with ear plugs, you start to pull up to a red light in a congested area (high traffic and noisy)... the car behind you is on the cell phone and does not see your brake light early enough, and has to hit them so hard they are coming to a screeching halt behind you. Boom!

the best defensive riding tools is Vision, awareness, and sound.

He has effectivly taken away or at the verry least limited his ability to "fully" know his suroundings.

I like to hear the engine as I ride, it soothes my soul... But mostly to make sure nothing funny is going on that may need attention to prevent any serious damage.
Not to point fingers or nothing, but ear plugs while riding "to me" just sounds stupid and dangerous.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,432 Posts
Actually ear plugs do not deprive you of sound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scenario:
Your riding with ear plugs, you start to pull up to a red light in a congested area (high traffic and noisy)... the car behind you is on the cell phone and does not see your brake light early enough, and has to hit them so hard they are coming to a screeching halt behind you. Boom!

the best defensive riding tools is Vision, awareness, and sound.

He has effectivly taken away or at the verry least limited his ability to "fully" know his suroundings.

I like to hear the engine as I ride, it soothes my soul... But mostly to make sure nothing funny is going on that may need attention to prevent any serious damage.
Not to point fingers or nothing, but ear plugs while riding "to me" just sounds stupid and dangerous.
I'll blow your mind even further with this, I listen to music while I ride as well. I have speakers in my helmet and my Bluetooth system playing music anytime I'm riding longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Why you ask? Because when I ride, I find that I am more alert if I have music playing. Also singing along helps keep me from getting drowsy on a late night ride.

I occasionally take calls while I ride as well. Gasp

Now I'll tell you my situation, I live and work an hours ride away from the university I attend in the evenings. I go to class 4 nights a week, so I ride at minimum 8 hours a week. Roughly 400 or so miles minimum per week. Most of this trip is open highways, or interstates, and as such I'm not overly concerned with listening for others vehicles.

Ear plugs don't cut out all sound. I don't know why people act like they do. They let me hear what is important and block out tons of wind noise. They also help distract from my never ending tinnitus. I can hear other traffic just fine, I can hear sirens fine, I can have a conversation with someone just fine, and I can listen to my tunes just fine. If I'm going over 40mph for more than 5 minutes, I'm putting in my ear plugs.

I ride a suzuki v strom 650. The engine sounds very boring, and that's fine for me, and I'm not going deaf from it either. If I feel a funny vibration or hear something odd, the music goes off, and I listen more closely to my bike.

I'm looking for a quieter helmet because even with ear plugs I still get a fair amount of ringing in the evenings after my rides.

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
Actually ear plugs do not deprive you of sound.
Agree. The ear plug haters would be surprised just how much more you can hear with ear plugs once the ear damaging noise is removed. Sirens and squealing tires come in just fine. You become attuned but of course you do have to be paying attention. Now I'm referring to good quality custom ear plugs but I would guess the cheaper foam things would be similar. I've never tired them so can't speak to that.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
I dont agree to that hearing atuned part,
Ear plugs at best allow a hollow echoing in the ear, and also prevent certain levels of sound waves, when they are not in your ear, you have a "full" range of sounds to listen for, when you have them in, it plain and simple lowers the sound waves your able to hear. Thats just common sense knowledge.

I wear them usually once a day while at work. (air tools, grinders)

all the plugs do when riding is make a larger "area" (circle) around you where you cant hear. Sound waves travel in several spehrical patterns outwards from the creation point in all directions. Ear plugs just increase your "defness" diameter around you, while decreasing the time it would take to hear the sound normally. And muffling out some sounds all together.

this effectivly gives an echoing, and decreased amount of time to react to any potential unseen dangers coming at you.

But by all means wear them, this is america, and you have the right to.... I just a big... Huge fan of "logic", and logic tells me that ear plugs while riding is just stupid and unsafe for all involved.

Good luck with them tho (y)

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,923 Posts
The initial post said the rider was looking for a mid range helmet, which I assume was referring to price. Shoei's are high quality, and fairly high priced and I have rarely been disappointed with those that I have owned. But I think if cost is an issue, HJC may be about the best bang for the buck. Their helmets are excellent, in my experience, and typically about half the cost of a Shoei, and less than half the cost of a top of the line Arai or Schuberth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont agree to that hearing atuned part,
Ear plugs at best allow a hollow echoing in the ear, and also prevent certain levels of sound waves, when they are not in your ear, you have a "full" range of sounds to listen for, when you have them in, it plain and simple lowers the sound waves your able to hear. Thats just common sense knowledge.

I wear them usually once a day while at work. (air tools, grinders)

all the plugs do when riding is make a larger "area" (circle) around you where you cant hear. Sound waves travel in several spehrical patterns outwards from the creation point in all directions. Ear plugs just increase your "defness" diameter around you, while decreasing the time it would take to hear the sound normally. And muffling out some sounds all together.

this effectivly gives an echoing, and decreased amount of time to react to any potential unseen dangers coming at you.

But by all means wear them, this is america, and you have the right to.... I just a big... Huge fan of "logic", and logic tells me that ear plugs while riding is just stupid and unsafe for all involved.

Good luck with them tho (y)
The earplugs you wear at work, and the plugs I wear when I ride are most likely very different. Your work plugs are either foamies or cone shaped rubber because they are cheap, like less than $1 per pair. I am using foamies but they are a special density that were not cheap. They work very well. You should ride with some form of hearing protection, wind noise alone for a 20 minute ride can cause permanent hearing loss.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts