Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any suggestion that helmet-mounted cameras could lead to serious brain injuries?

Here is a brief article in which the allegation is made that the helmet cam was the cause of Schumacher' s brain injury. He was apparently wearing one while skiing.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/12/schumachers-head-injuries-caused-by-gopro-camera-mounted-on-ski-helmet-4902312/

Not sure how it would cause the brain injury, though. I guess it could cause a cervical spinal chord injury from twisting the head and neck, but there would not be a direct brain injury.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I do believe I remember reading somewhere when it first happened it was due to the way that it was mounted on the helmet. I do believe that the helmet was modified to accomidate the cam. They knew it was the camera that caused the damage, cause it was the area of the brain that was injured directly where the camera was. They say it wasn't the hit itself that hurt him, but the camera. Too bad too, he was a good driver.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
This has nothing to do with the accident you asked about, but it is a general risk of brain injury while riding, with, or without, a helmet. A sudden twisting of the head, in a crash, can spin the skull so fast, that the brain wont' spin, and the blood vessels feeding the brain, through the skull bones, will be severed, causing internal bleeding within the skull cavity.

Dr. Hurt discussed it in his study of real-world motorcycle accidents. A sudden jarring of the skull, on impact, can twist it very fast, a short distance, which can cause the skull and brain to spin at different rates (the brain has the consistency of warm jello, according Dr. Hurt's report).

I don't worry about it, though, as it is just part of the risk of riding. I'd rather die doing what I love, as opposed to dying in my easy chair, or falling down a stair well, etc. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
140 Posts
It may have been the problem in that particular case..who knows for sure. I wouldn't stop wearing mine just because someone had a freak accident with one. Its sad for sure but, I wouldn't get paranoid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Never heard of it. But I think if placed and used properly, cam on helmet should helpful especially reviewing something you don't notice when riding fast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They are really common here in the UK. Both by Vloggers and by people for insurance purposes. Insurance give you discount in some cases.
I just wlked into a garage to get fuel in Germany, soaking wet with my helmet camera on - and I got the woman laughing uncontrollably pointing and saying to her friend "An alien, he looks like an alien"

Street cred ruined

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah I love to watch all those videos on youtube. I would think that it would distract from my attention to the hazards of the road. I don't think that they are very aerodynamic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts