Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a Polaris Slingshot in the future and of course, with a helmet. However I thought it this. If you're going 55-65 and a deer pops out, it's going one of two ways, left/right, or over to me.

Curious and couldn't find anywhere on the internet or YouTube, but how strong are full face helmet? Can it withstand 10G or even a deer? Doubt it but worth asking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I want a Polaris Slingshot in the future and of course, with a helmet. However I thought it this. If you're going 55-65 and a deer pops out, it's going one of two ways, left/right, or over to me.

Curious and couldn't find anywhere on the internet or YouTube, but how strong are full face helmet? Can it withstand 10G or even a deer? Doubt it but worth asking.
The helmet will most likely survive a hit fine. The problem is that your head might not be attached to your body. It would be different on a bike because you can be knocked off the seat and not absorb as much energy. Either way you are screwed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully if I were to back my head to the seat so it wouldn't whip lash, it will help to a degree. So the helmets really are that strong? Dang.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A helmet is designed to drop from I believe 5'. Even if you drop a helmet, technically it should be replaced according to the MFG. I am guessing 99.9% of users won't do that. :71baldboy:

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Yep, the helmet can take it, but a deer right to the head at 60 would probably snap your neck.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I honestly don't know if I'd feel "safer" riding a Slingshot while wearing the seatbelt or not wearing the seatbelt... but I'd definitely insist on a helmet!

-no doors
-no roof (ok a small rollbar)
-no crash tested frame
-mandatory helmet(?)
-mandatory seatbelt??

sounds like a scary combo to me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's impressive. Theoretically thinking though, if I were to have my head touching the back seat, to where there was no room at all for my head to whip lash back, then would that help keep the neck from snapping? Just a theory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want the Slingshot because it looks fun, and seeing the design and how you describe it, safety makes me think about if I actually want it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Well, Polaris is an established company with a reputation to uphold. I'm sure they've made the Slingshot as safe possible.

But considering it is definitely a sporting vehicle that encourages speed/cornering, it won't be long before youtube will be full of real-life crash tests, that I'm eager to see too. I WANT to like the Slingshot too.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Yeah, can't say I want one or even want to like one. It does look like it would be fun to fly around in one someone else paid for. As for the deer, think about it, 200 or so pounds hitting your head at 60mph. A good full face helmet would make an open casket possible, but you're likely dead.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
That's impressive. Theoretically thinking though, if I were to have my head touching the back seat, to where there was no room at all for my head to whip lash back, then would that help keep the neck from snapping? Just a theory.
And what if the deer hit you at an angle as it jumped across your path? The mass of it's body hits your left cheek/jaw/upper shoulder area and violently twists your head to the right, fracturing several vertebrae.

Or, maybe you hit it head on, and the helmet protects your head, but one piece of antler penetrates your lower throat area on just enough to nick your ascending aorta or cut your jugular??

Or what if.....

:biggrin:

C'mon friend, are you really THAT worried about the possibility of dying on bike? (Or even a tricycle?)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I think it looks like hella fun. I am pretty safety conscious, so l wouldn't hesitate. And l certainly wouldn't not get one because of the possibility of hitting a deer. I'm totally screwed if l hit a deer at 60 on my bike and l ride it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not worried of dying or hitting a deer, just curious to what would happen. Curious person I guess.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Deer -vs- Motorcyclist............hmmmmmm........let's think about that one!!

I'm willing to postulate that MOST of the time, the bike is GOING to go down, and the rider with it.

The "helmet" is only covering one part of the body. Can it survive impact?

Maybe yes, maybe no.........

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A helmet is good for maybe a 10 MPH impact. Yes, you read that right. If I fall off a bike at a standstill it will hit at less than that and if I fall off at 70 MPH the impact is the same. Once I hit the paving the 70 MPH accident will also cause some wear due to sliding but the impact is finished. In a cage you are no longer looking at impact from falling. Now you are looking at impact from stationary or nearly stationary objects. No helmet, no matter how good the design, can protect you from those.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
From what I understand (and I'm not an expert) a helmet is about distribution of force and reducing blunt impact. Of course the shell of a helmet will negate the sandpaper effect of scalp/face sliding across the cheese grater of pavement. That is why the innards of a well fitting helmet are good for one impact. the foam will distort and compress as is absorbs and redistributes the force of impact, and also why an ill fitting helmet is no good. Think about shaking an egg inside it's naturally protective shell, you can shake until your arm falls of and not break the yoke. Now take the same egg sans shell in a slightly larger container, shake it vigorously, and then fry up your scrambled egg. Same basic effect of your brain in an ill fitting helmet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yep, the helmet can take it, but a deer right to the head at 60 would probably snap your neck.
A quick split second reflex to at least avoid collision on the head would save anyone here unless not totally seeing it coming.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A helmet is good for maybe a 10 MPH impact. Yes, you read that right. If I fall off a bike at a standstill it will hit at less than that and if I fall off at 70 MPH the impact is the same. Once I hit the paving the 70 MPH accident will also cause some wear due to sliding but the impact is finished. In a cage you are no longer looking at impact from falling. Now you are looking at impact from stationary or nearly stationary objects. No helmet, no matter how good the design, can protect you from those.
I'm not sure I follow you. Whatever speed a person crashes at is the speed they hit the ground at, there about. The act of crashing, depending on the crash, might scrub off a little speed. While traveling normally, the bike and rider are going the same speed.

If you mean the acceleration of my head from upright seated to ground, maybe. Maybe that is only as fast as the speed an object can reach over a given distance when acted upon only by gravity. But I'm going as fast as the bike. If I hit a Jersey barrier head first, like a human missile launched from a motorcycle at 70mph, that impact is going to be a lot faster than 10mph.

If I high side, and am thrown from a motorcycle going 70mph, the impact may well occur at much faster than 10mph.

Gravity is not the only for at work. Momentum is a mofo.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
A quick split second reflex to at least avoid collision on the head would save anyone here unless not totally seeing it coming.
Oh absolutely agreed, but we're just talking helmet strength as the original poster is wondering if a helmet can take the impact of a deer. The answer is yes it can, but your neck won't. Now whether you can maneuver out of the way of course is another matter ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts