Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m a new member and somewhat new rider from NorCal. I’m a mid-20s female and recently bought an electric sport bike.

I may have jumped the gun and posted before introducing myself! If you have any tips for counter-acting the wind while freeway riding, feel free to respond to my question here :)

·
American Legion Rider
21,862 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us😁

Reactions: zerogirl

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,152 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will always have wind on the freeways. Windshield?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Welcome from Granite Falls, WA.

My experience is that the smaller the bike, the more the wind will blow you around. A windshield is extremely helpful. The bigger the windshield, the less you will notice the wind.

I have a couple Triumph cruisers with full windshields, and you don't notice the wind much at all unless it's really blowing. My V Strom is a bit smaller but the windshield is decent size, and it is more noticeable, but still very good. My Scrambler has a tiny windshield (more of a bug screen, really) and I don't like going faster than about 65 on it. My dual purpose bikes have no windshields and I don't ride them on the freeway at all unless it's a short distance.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Welcome! One of the best mods I did to my Ninja 300 was installing a double bubble windscreen. Made the highway wind tolerable. Tucking in also helps a great deal!

Reactions: zerogirl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome from Granite Falls, WA.

My experience is that the smaller the bike, the more the wind will blow you around. A windshield is extremely helpful. The bigger the windshield, the less you will notice the wind.

I have a couple Triumph cruisers with full windshields, and you don't notice the wind much at all unless it's really blowing. My V Strom is a bit smaller but the windshield is decent size, and it is more noticeable, but still very good. My Scrambler has a tiny windshield (more of a bug screen, really) and I don't like going faster than about 65 on it. My dual purpose bikes have no windshields and I don't ride them on the freeway at all unless it's a short distance.
I think a windshield is the way to go! I know I’ll eventually get more used to it but the wind won’t get any less strong! 😅

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
My first bike didn't have a windshield so I didn't know what I was missing. When I got a bike that had one I couldn't believe I had gone so long without it.

BTW, what is the range of your Zero?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My first bike didn't have a windshield so I didn't know what I was missing. When I got a bike that had one I couldn't believe I had gone so long without it.

BTW, what is the range of your Zero?
Yeah I’m looking into the MadStad quick release windshield so I can take it off when I’m not highway riding. Range is about 80 miles at 70mph. Up to 120ish miles if it’s all city riding

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Yeah I’m looking into the MadStad quick release windshield so I can take it off when I’m not highway riding. Range is about 80 miles at 70mph. Up to 120ish miles if it’s all city riding
My experience is that I will either have something on the bike or off; while I may intend to swap it out for different situations, it probably won't happen.

Those bikes have come along way in terms of range!!! They used to claim 50 and do 25.

·
Visionary
3,834 Posts
Which Zero do you have?
My wife was looking at one at a show, I don't recall which one it was though. She has a short work commute of only 38 miles a day so it might be the perfect ride for her daily ride to work.

·
American Legion Rider
21,862 Posts
That would be perfect for her Mike. And you know you need yet another bike.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which Zero do you have?
My wife was looking at one at a show, I don't recall which one it was though. She has a short work commute of only 38 miles a day so it might be the perfect ride for her daily ride to work.
I have a Zero S and I absolutely love it. I test drove the FXS years ago and while it’s super light and quick, the range is unbelievably bad. My current S gets about 70-80 miles on the freeway and closer to 100 combined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts