Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm a recent collage grad from Kansas, and I'm hoping to get a motorcycle soon. Being a recent grad, I can't quite collect the funds, but I'm saving up. I know next to nothing about motorcycles, but I've already gotten a lot of good info from here. Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,477 Posts
Welcome aboard, look around read various sections and when you have questions ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've already looked around a lot, and will continue to do so. There is a lot of great info here, and I want to know as much as I can so I can ride safe and ride well.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your graduation. Plan on taking the BRC before you buy.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Congrats on completing College!! "Welcome" from CT!

Given the cost of "College" I'm sure (unless you are stinkin rich and money was never an issue) you have a ton of debt to pay back!! Finding a reliable but low-cost motorcycle is likely your quest.

I have not had any "bad" luck so far, in buying a "used" bike, and would steer you in that direction, if for no other reason than the cost factor.

In terms of making sure that what you buy is worth the money...........get someone alongside you that has a good deal of background in motorcycles; someone who can come with you and look over any bike you are interested in. Let them help you make a good and proper choice.

I'll assume that you will take the Basic Rider's Course (BRC) and that you will protect yourself with the right gear.

I'm forced to make a couple of assumptions here, since you did not specify, but "Kansas" has a lot of wide open spaces, and some dusty air, is that fair? If so, the bike you want will be able to be ridden in weather and condition extremes that are more "long ride" suited, than "short hop" situations.

Buying a bike that will stand up to longer, dustier rides will be a benefit to you, (meaning bikes with perhaps a cooling system, rather than air-cooled; a good Faring setup to protect you and the bike; etc).

-Soupy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm forced to make a couple of assumptions here, since you did not specify, but "Kansas" has a lot of wide open spaces, and some dusty air, is that fair? If so, the bike you want will be able to be ridden in weather and condition extremes that are more "long ride" suited, than "short hop" situations.

-Soupy
Those are pretty fair assumptions! I am looking for a cruiser that I can use for half hour trips a few times a week, and ride around town. I'm in Manhattan, which is decent sized.

Also, I have my BRC scheduled for next month, and I'm hoping to have all my gear before then. I've got a helmet, but still need to get gloves and a jacket. I'm thinking about getting Tour Master's Transition 3. It seems to be about the best multi-season jacket for the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts