Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am a soon to be newbie rider. I live in California. I do not currently have a motorcycle but would like to get a cruiser. I am 6'5" 260lbs. I want to get a cruiser for under 3000 if possible that way I can gain some experience and than get the bike I really want which is a Harley Davidson road glide.

Any thoughts on a cruiser I should get now, i'm looking to buy one in the next few months. I was leaning towards a Yamaha V-star or a Kawasaki. I have sat on the Yamaha V-star and feel pretty good about it but would probably have to change the shocks for my weight and maybe the bars and foot board.

I plan on getting my permit next week and look into a msf course. I was going to take the Harley Davidson course because I heard they start you off on something a little bigger than a 2?50 and I am concerned about me being to cramp on a 250 and than I can't even learn correctly because I am to uncomfortable to focus. Only think about the Harley course is that it is like a hundred dollars more than any other course I have seen. is it worth it?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
You'll likely get a tour of the dealership with the Harley class. Here they use the same class material as the state, but a waiver is only granted with the state-run courses. California works differently than Illinois, so I'm not sure what the case is there.

I would recommend asking about DMV waivers before committing. It's a lot less hassle not having to test twice if possible.

I don't know what motorcycles are used in courses there, but we have some dual-sport bikes that better fit tall riders in our courses. I'm thinking that something similar can be found in California. The Harley courses are switching over the the Street models from their previous Buell Blast.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you are planning on taking the BRC. They will teach you a lot of the basics that you can build on. In my class we had a couple of large men and they did ok on the 250's. They also had a couple dual sports that are taller bikes.

I would suggest that you wait until after taking the class to buy a bike. You might find that you just don't like it. That does happen.

But, if you just can't wait, go and sit on lots of bikes. Most dealers have a fairly good selection of used bikes. Sit on them all. Lift them off of their stand, see if you are still comfy and can put your feet flat on the ground. Given your height you should be able to. You will find a couple that just feel right to you. Others may look great but just don't feel right. Don't be in a hurry and have fun with your hunt.

Yamaha V Star 650, Kawasaki Vulcan 900, Honda Shadows, HD Sporsters all are nice bikes. Victory also makes some great bikes but they are larger. My husband is 6' 5" and about 280 lbs. He has sat on a lot of bikes and just a few felt right to him. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thank you all for the responses. Ok I am set to take the Harley Davidson BRC in Mar if I can get an earlier seat I will take that. It was 258 the same price as others that I have seen and if I pass no need to take a driving test just the written test and I will get my license. I am super excited. I will go Friday to sit on a few bikes to get an idea but I really like the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and think that might be a great bike to learn on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts