Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys!

Just started checking out these forums and from what I've read this seems like a great site with lots of cool riders...hoping I'll be meeting some of you in my area and even more in my travels!

Speaking of travels, I have done a few week or longer journeys in the USA, mainly when I was living in Denver. Now I'm back in the area I grew up in...

Planning an Alaska run this summer, if I can fund it...if not this summer I'll definitely be doing it next summer! I can't wait.

My experience as a rider...I didn't start riding until I was over 30+ years old but I was instantly hooked.

Bikes I've owned include 1984 Honda V-65 Magna, 199? Ninja 500, 1984 Honda Goldwing, etc... I currently own and ride a 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT I picked up last spring after an accident that totaled my Goldwing and also totaled me...but I'm back rubber side down again.

I spend as much time as possible ontwo wheels!:71baldboy:

Nice to meet e1!

3G

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I sure hope you can find funding for that Alaska trip. I would love to take a ride up there. Maybe, oneday...I can dream.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Forum. I sure hope you can find funding for that Alaska trip. I would love to take a ride up there. Maybe, oneday...I can dream.
"Travel while you're young and able.
Don't worry about the money, just make it work.
Experience is far more valuable that money will ever be!"
-Unknown

Obviously who ever said this doesn't understand taking care of a bike so it gets you 10,000+ miles costs money...not to mention camping and food, etc...lol.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
You are so right! We have found though that vacationing on our bike is the cheapest way to go. For me it is also the most enjoyable. I love everything about it

·
lost
1,106 Posts
"Travel while you're young and able.
Don't worry about the money, just make it work.
Experience is far more valuable that money will ever be!"
-Unknown

Obviously who ever said this doesn't understand taking care of a bike so it gets you 10,000+ miles costs money...not to mention camping and food, etc...lol.
Isn't that what credit cards are for?

On a serious note, those sort of trips are worth the effort to make happen. Stick some cash in a sock on a regular basis and forget that you have it until it is time to leave.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome aboard buddy! Glad to hear you are up again after the accident. Care to share what happened to your Goldwing?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Goldwing destroyed...LOL

Welcome aboard buddy! Glad to hear you are up again after the accident. Care to share what happened to your Goldwing?
Don't mind sharing...

I was on a back road around Tity U. I came around a blind left hand turn around 25mph. All of the sudden I see a freshly gravelled driveway...but the quarry tailgated 2B gravel up onto the road. It was like hitting ice. I went down hard, a low side, but hard...next thing I remember is chopper blades and pain. Apparently I went down hard, left most of my cheap ass Bell half helmet on the road, and slid across a field, bouncing off of a rock before my bike went over a revene and I flew up in the air and landed on the edge of that revene.

I broke all my ribs on my left side, punctured my spleen, gouged my left lung, severe concussion, etc...

As for my Goldwing-there wasn't much left of it after going over the revene. Glad it was the Wing and not me that took the plunge...

I still feel the effects of that accident, but when people ask me why I still ride after that day all I can say is:

"It still puts a smile on my face!"

I love the open road and don't let fear control my life. I'm still slightly tentative in a lot of situations...I'm getting over that slowly...but nothing will take away my desire for the freedom that only comes on two wheels!

3G

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are so right! We have found though that vacationing on our bike is the cheapest way to go. For me it is also the most enjoyable. I love everything about it
Amen to that! Not only the least expensive but also the best way to experience all that nature has to offer!

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Nice to meet you too!

And BTW...THE RAVENS SUCK!

Just a little thing I need to say when I talk to anyone from MD b/c I'm a Burgh guy...lol
That gave me a genuine LOL. My receptionist is from Pittsburgh. You don't even have to guess who she's for. There are enough Steeler's fans that the bar just up the road is their hangout. Personally IDGAS about the Ravens. I just don't like the Eagles, but that's because I like dogs. Including pit bulls.

I get the whole apprehension after an accident bit. I rolled a truck three times. And not on separate occasions! Quiet bang quiet bang quiet bang stop. It takes the wind out of your sails to say the least. That stretch of road makes me a little apprehensive now.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,487 Posts
Doesn't bother me, I am a Deadskins fan and anyone playing the Cowboys

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from the Hills of East Tennessee!!
I lived in "Milton", PA from 2002-2005....been wanting to go back on my Bike and ride the "Grand Canyon" in PA ( Pretty sure that was what it was called!?) as well as other places there! for Years now!!
Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts