Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, to all!
I am a new guy to this forum as well as to riding a bike. Recently got my motorcycle license, but have almost zero street riding experience and no bike. I am in search of who might be able to help of providing a bike and ride with me in NY area or at least a company to ride with if I get my own starter bike.

Also, as soon as I manage some street experience I plan to get me a Harley Sportster 883. I understand that there are plenty of other choices but all my life I was a solid Harley fan.

I am 45 y.o. and all my life I drove Mustangs, but now I am switching to all life dream of riding.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Brooklyn, Sheepshead Bay
Oh cool! I believe Trondyne lives in the city as well.

I went to Brooklyn last Fall for a wedding, and we had a fabulous time! We stayed at a place near Smith and Atlantic, l believe, and found the neighborhoods to be a lot of fun to walk through. And the food was fabulous! Every time l see that Nationwide commercial where Peyton Manning sings "Chicken Parm you taste so good" l think of this little Italian joint we found called Caruso's...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh cool! I believe Trondyne lives in the city as well.

I went to Brooklyn last Fall for a wedding, and we had a fabulous time! We stayed at a place near Smith and Atlantic, l believe, and found the neighborhoods to be a lot of fun to walk through. And the food was fabulous! Every time l see that Nationwide commercial where Peyton Manning sings "Chicken Parm you taste so good" l think of this little Italian joint we found called Caruso's...
who is Trondyne? I am in search of all who might share their wisdom with a newbie.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
who is Trondyne? I am in search of all who might share their wisdom with a newbie.
I will shoot him a message and see if he might contact you. In the meantime, you'll need to put in 15 posts before you can send PM's back and forth, so l would wander about the site a bit :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike. I'm in Maryland, a NY transplant. I just started riding 6 years ago and I'm 50 now. With that being said, go for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum Mike. I'm in Maryland, a NY transplant. I just started riding 6 years ago and I'm 50 now. With that being said, go for it.

How long did it take you to feel proficient in riding? How often and how far did you ride back than?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello! Nice to hear from you. Tnx for responding. Unfortunately I can't send any PMs due to low message count....

But in two words...I have no friends with bikes, so for everything I do I collect little pieces of info here and there.
I just completed my MSS riding course. Just to get the driver license out of the way. Now I am at the BRC phase with one-on-one lessons on Staten Island streets. They provide 250cc Yamaha, what is a joke, but it does the trick. I ride on streets. Not on a highway yet, though. I plan to spend as much time as possible (never-mind $$!) before November, to be ready for my first bike in April.

Any advises are greatly appreciated!

Mike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
welcome from Wisconsin:icon_cool:

nice state! Green Bay. I've been there long time ago taking OTR hazmat truck driving training in 1993 and participating in power lifting competition in 1995. over 20 years ago (((( Time flies...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How long did it take you to feel proficient in riding? How often and how far did you ride back than?
Actually, I started feeling very proficient in a short period of time. Maybe around 2-3k. I rode a lot by myself so I could get use to my bike and also try to perfect what I learned in my BRC. Things like, how to ride behind a car in a spot where you are seen by the driver, stop and go traffic, and most important to improve my confidence. I'm now on my second bike. I have over 30k riding experience. I brought my second bike on 4/2013 and I've logged 20k on it in two years. I ride year around.

The best thing I can say I did was get a starter bike(ninja 500r)to gain my confidence on. They are very forgiving and it helped my confidence tremendously. Now its just trying to stay humble and not get over confident.:biggrin:

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I hope you get that bike soon. There are some wonderful roads in up state New York to ride. We spent 11 days up there a couple years ago. I was so surprised at how much wilderness there is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts