Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry meet all, my friends call me is soul
I am a proud owner of a 1986 Suzuki gs550l. I found it as a 100$ find. It's the first bike I have ever owned. I have yet to ride it as it has needed some work. First bike I have ever worked on and to say the least it has been a challenge. From what I understand I couldn't have picked a much more challenging bike to fix up but I'm facing it head on becoming intimate with all it's workings.i managed to rebuild the carb after making sure it did actually start and stay running. Except when I turned down the choke or gave it throttle lol. In my excitement I made what seems to be a fatal combination of mistakes. Last bolt of sorts to tighten before putting on my gas tank on the clutch cable to the carb I cracked the plastic nut threads in the carb clean off. In my brain fart of frustration I cut just above the top of the nut the cable. I managed to get the carb back out, back the plastic threading out with alot of patience and a screwdriver. Now I'm struggling with the task of finding a new cable or a direct screw in plunger choke to the carb and a cable for the other side. I've tried to look up the parts number for my cable. Year of bike. Carb I'd number. And they simply seem to be non existent. I refuse to give up. But if anyone has some pointers to either ideas or parts. Or places best to hunt I would be in your debt. I am a female being told I can't fix it I should sell it for parts getting casted aside when asking questions at local areas. Because I either don't know the correct terminology or simply a newbie taking on a expert task it seems. I live in Harley country (aka Wisconsin) and am feeling at a complete loss ATM as summer is slipping by.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. A picture or two of the issue your having would be of great help in us helping you to correct your situation. I ride a 1982 Suzuki GS850GL and there are a lot of part resources for them depending on what it is your looking for.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So, it appears to be the choke cable assembly. I checked my parts sources for new and no luck as they have been discontinued. I did how ever find several on E-Bay there used but in good condition and around $24.00 for the complete cable ASSY. I typed in 1986 Suzuki GS550L and went to images and found several.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, it appears to be the choke cable assembly. I checked my parts sources for new and no luck as they have been discontinued. I did how ever find several on E-Bay there used but in good condition and around $24.00 for the complete cable ASSY. I typed in 1986 Suzuki GS550L and went to images and found several.
That's where I've been searching but they are either coming up a different year or serial number and I am unfamiliar with what is interchangeable and what is not this is one of the ones I've been watching
Automotive lighting Font Motor vehicle Audio equipment Eyewear

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also, I found the choke cable plunger cap at Top-racingmoto.com brand new for $10.00 bucks. Just a note if it were me I would not hesitate to buy that cable from Ebay. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts